PDA

View Full Version : Impounded aircraft?

swashplate
7th Aug 2001, 18:59
I was just remembering when Laker went Bankrupt in Feb '82. We went to Manchester Airport to see the impunded DC-10s - 3 of 'em. Grotty, cloudy day as I remember.

Anyway, I was wondering: What do they do to aircraft when they are impounded? :confused:

Obviousley, these a/c are valuable assets! :cool:

I presume the recievers are aware of the possibility of an 'unauthorised sortie to Rio'!! :eek:

Do they pump all the fuel out, or what?????

PS: hope this doesn't bring back painful memories for anyone..........just interested, that's all.........

[ 07 August 2001: Message edited by: swashplate ]

411A
9th Aug 2001, 05:41
Recall a few years ago being dispatched to KUL to retreive one of UL's TriStars that had been impounded by court order for non-payment of a judgement. A VERY large logging chain wrapped 'round the main landing gear and the court order (in Malay, large six figure amount) pasted on the windshield. The deputy financial officer of the airline arrived later that same day with a suitcase full of cash....no checks would be accepted. Wonder why? :rolleyes:

swashplate
10th Aug 2001, 17:08
Thanks 411A

Methinks 'logging chain' big & heavy..??

But why not pump fuel out? It would take rather a long time to refuel for 'mission to Rio' and rather obvious with unathorised bowser near a/c?

411A
11th Aug 2001, 05:37
Yes, chain big and heavy bolted to tie-down rings set in the concrete ramp.
De-fueling is not as easy as you think. The fuel pumped out is considered contaminated and cannot be used in another aircraft. Not only that, but finding a tanker empty is also quite difficult.
Sometimes, vital equipment is removed; speed control or engine start panel for example.

rover2701
12th Aug 2001, 18:35
Brings back sad memories. I was a Laker employee when we went bust in 1982, based at Manchester. The procedure to prevent unauthorised departure was to put heavy concrete blocks in front and rear of the nosewheel, then chained them together. Money was owed to Manchester Airport Authority, so obviously would not allow refuel or unauthorised take off.Writ was pasted to side of access doors. Could only board aircraft to carry out routine maintenance. As for defueling it realy is not an option. As stated previously fuel is considered contaminated and can then only be pumped back onto the aircraft it was removed from, or sold to fuel reclamation companies. So considering that there was three aircraft, storage would be a problem. :( :( :(