PDA

View Full Version : Rules for commencement of a procedure

OBK!
26th Aug 2011, 17:13
Hi,

I'm trying to find out the rules and regs regarding commencement of a procedure. If flying inbound the fix where the procedure starts, there's a rule that states you can't fly straight outbound unless you're within +/- 30* of the outbound course. From experience, this doesn't stop anyone doing so. Is there a rule that allows you to proceed outbound even if you are outside +/- 30*?

Cheers

172_driver
26th Aug 2011, 18:02
Don't know if there is any rule as such, but what I would be concerned about trying a turn bigger than 30 deg. would be obstacle protected airspace in the initial approach segment. If the airway puts you in a position outside of the 30 deg. sector there should be an alignment hold. Remember an accident I read about a while ago, pilot approached the Locator NDB situated on final about 4 nm from the threshold at about 90 deg angle to the final. Instead of doing the racetrack to join the ILS as published, tried a 90+ deg turn to catch the LLZ straight in. Don't ask me about his altitude at this point!? It ended in snake-shaped pattern and hit a pole on the other side of the field having made a nice arc around the whole aerodrome. Everything IMC of course...