PDA

View Full Version : Valid I/R Needed for initial ATPL Issue?

DECU
11th Jan 2001, 21:50
Hi all,

Just have a simple questions for those who know.

Does my Instrument rating have to be valid for the initial issue of a UK ATPL(A)?

Many thanks in advance.

DECU

Dan Winterland
12th Jan 2001, 01:35
Yes.

Cloud Chaser
15th Jan 2001, 00:48
But not for a frozen ATPL(A) http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

wysiwyg
15th Jan 2001, 01:48
Cloud Chaser, I think you'll find the CAA issue CPLs, CPL/IRs or ATPLs. There is no such thing as the issue of a frozen ATPL.

Regards
wizzy

Cloud Chaser
15th Jan 2001, 02:02
If it doesn't exist why is it refered to so much? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

twistedenginestarter
15th Jan 2001, 18:54
This is just a guess but I would think a frozen ATPL is actually a CPL with a pass at the ATPL ground exams so that at the appropriate number of hours you can just upgrade to ATPL on payment of the requisite amount of beer vouchers. Prior to that moment however you only have the privileges of the CPL.

wysiwyg
16th Jan 2001, 02:19
twisted - bingo! A frozen ATPL is a term for a CPL/IR who has passed all the requirements for issue of an ATPL with the exception of the 1500 hours (and now the 500 hours multi-crew). It is not actually a license in itself, therefore the CAA issue a CPL/IR.

Hope this helps
wizzy

watford
17th Jan 2001, 02:40
To Get back to the original question - Yes, a valid, and current, IR is required for the issue of an ATPL. What's more, if the IR subsequently expires, the ATPL effectively reverts to a CPL.

It is also true to say that there is no such licence as a 'frozen' ATPL, it is simply shorthand for 'CPL/IR with ATPL theoretical knowledge examinations'. Bear in mind, however, that a pass in the ATPL theoretical knowledge examinations is required, under JAR-OPS, for a CPL/IR holder to act as a member of the crew of a 'multi-crew' aircraft. In practical (if strictly incorrect) terms, therefore, a CPL/IR qualifies you to fly a single-crew, public transport aeroplane while a 'frozen' ATPL qualifies you to fly as F/O in a multi-crew public transport aeroplane.

Bob the Builder
17th Jan 2001, 03:29
YES!