PDA

View Full Version : Curious American pilot.

greenfourzero
25th Aug 2011, 02:17
I'm a corporate pilot that has spent my entire albeit short, flying career here in the US and I'm curious about the European system.

Just a few questions; Does a JAA/EASA license allow you to fly any european registered aircraft or just one registered in the country that issued your license? i.e. can a british pilot fly an EI- registered aircraft?

Does an aircraft have to be based and maintained in the country where it is registered?

Thank you in advance and I apologize if these are really stupid questions.

Denti
25th Aug 2011, 06:10
I can only speak about airline flying in general as that is what i do for the most part. But flying any european registered airplane with a JAA license is perfectly normal. And no, aircraft do not have to be based and maintained in their country of registration, however you might have to deal with the authorities in the country of registration in regard to maintenance and airworthiness.

EI-registered aircraft are very common all over europe and even outside the EU, for example in russia.

GlueBall
25th Aug 2011, 16:18
If you are not an EU national you may have some immigration issues as to legal residency and work permit.

Superpilot
25th Aug 2011, 16:43
With JAA, all member countries are known as 'States'...that should answer your question. ;)

greenfourzero
25th Aug 2011, 23:28
Thanks for the info! :ok: I don't know why but I've always figured the whole system over there was really convoluted. Doesn't sound any worse than here I guess.

tom775257
26th Aug 2011, 01:36
From my experience it has been very easy flying for different airlines within the EU, also I have had medicals from multiple countries within the JAA/EASA area, never been an issue. The only ball-ache has come from security checks to get the airside pass (well to be fair I'm talking getting UK airside here, abroad it was easy).

TOGA 10
12th Sep 2011, 19:27
With an EASA/JAA license one can fly any EASA/JAA registered acft (with the correct type/class rating on it).