PDA

View Full Version : re-joining circuit

kb1
11th Jan 2001, 04:58
I have a lot of difficulty getting my bearings in order to rejoin the circuit at my local airfield where I am training for my PPl. I've only 12hrs flying time so I have relatively little experience. I'm dreading the thoughts of joining a circuit in an airfield I don't know. Is there a method or cunning way to figure it out quickly?

FNG
11th Jan 2001, 14:50
Don't fret: with only 12 hours it can seem more complicated than it is and it should seem easier later on. It's pehaps a bit early in the course to be worrying too much about this.

I was going to post a description of a standard overhead join, but suggest that it might be best to re-post your question in the Instructors Forum where you can get a properly pattered description and excellent general advice. If you get no joy, post again here or in Private Flying and I or one of the other PPLs will describe the standard drill.

Two general points:

(1) The standard overhead join is likely to vary because of proximity of controlled airspace, ground hazards, noise abatement etc. If an airfield normally uses a non-standard procedure, you can still ask for an overhead join and they may say yes if circumstances permit and if not in breach of published procedures. If I had done this approaching Norwich on my QXC I would have spared myself some blushes.

(2) For any circuit join, aim to obtain a mental picture of where you are and where you are heading relative to the direction of the active runway. As soon as you know which runway is in use, visualise it by looking at your DI: mentally superimposing the runway on the dial (use your pen if you need to). If in doubt, orbit a while at a point well clear of the ATZ whilst you get your thoughts straight. NB this is one reason why a re-join FREDA is such a good idea as your DI and compass should be in agreement.

Good luck with your training.

Icarus Wings
11th Jan 2001, 14:53
Most smaller, uncontrolled airfields use the standard overhead join. You may not know what this is yet but i`m sure your instructor will tell you. Whilst a lot of people dont seem to like this type of join i think it has a number of advantages.
1) It seperates you from circuit traffic at a safe distance
2)You can see the signals box which tells you circuit direction and what runway is in use.
3)You can see the runways from directly overhead and so can be more sure of the correct pattern and how to fit into it.
4) It gives you chance for a proper lookout to determine how many other aircraft are in the circuit and their positions.

At larger airports with ATC the process can be made easier by thinking before hand what type of join air traffic will ask you to make, rather than just waiting for them to tell you. eg. If the runway is orientated E/W and you are approaching from the south then you are likely to be given either a downwind or base leg join, following a left hand circuit pattern.

Like all things it becomes easier with practice and experience!

foghorn
11th Jan 2001, 16:21
Tips for joins.

In a left hand circuit, always turn to the left, always keep the runway on your left.
Obviously in a right hand circuit, the opposite is the case!

This works whether you are joining in the overhead, crosswind, downwind or base leg. Keeping the runway on the correct side (left for LH circuit, right for RH), is particularly useful for getting the entry into the airfield overhead correct in overhead joins. It is even correct for the go-around. If you find yourself having to make, say, a right hand turn in a left hand circuit, or end up with the runway on your right, something is going wrong it is best to retreat to a safe distance from the airfield and join again (tell ATC/AFIS or announce your intentions on the A/G frequency of course!)

I made a hash of my first solo overhead join on my first ever solo landaway (Staverton), I'd only ever done one overhead join before with my instructor at another airfield so was nervous (no overhead joins at Cranfield where I was based so I was not used to the procedure). I just flew clear of the circuit and had another go.

The only exception to these simple rules is if you have to make an orbit for spacing: in a left hand circuit the orbit is to the right, in a right hand to the left.

And finally, don't worry if you don't have the hang of it a twelve hours, few people do, it will come with just a bit more practice!

[This message has been edited by foghorn (edited 11 January 2001).]

Biggles Flies Undone
11th Jan 2001, 19:11
FNG hit the nail bang on the head. Whether it is a busy or quiet airfield, use the same technique - that way you can spot anomalies if they occur.

When you get the runway and circuit info look at the DI and visualise the runway. Then add a 'loop' to indicate the circuit pattern. This will give you an awareness of where you are relative to the circuit pattern and allow you to plan your join.

HugMonster
11th Jan 2001, 21:05
Early in my training I had similar problems. I bought (at great expense) a little piece of plastic made by Mr. Pooley, called a "Landing Pattern Computer". It worked!

I still have it - if you'd like to try it, email me with your address - I'll send it to you, no charge! (No, I DON'T need it any longer! :))

------------------
Breeding Per Dementia Unto Something Jolly Big, Toodle-pip

Sensible
11th Jan 2001, 22:21
kb1, I understand the problem, it came easier for me after about 100hrs! I tried writing numbers on pieces of paper representing points on the DI, placing them in a cup then picked them out at random. I then drew the runway and traffic pattern on a large piece of paper representing the headings that I had drawn (don't try this in the air :) ) as part of flight planning, you draw out the traffic pattern of your destination airport together with aprox DI headings that you expect, you will soon become more relaxed. It helps also if you give yourself mental tasks like if I am landing on runway 26, what will the heading be on the crosswind, downwind and base leg?

If you commit as much stuff to memory as possible like pre landing procedures, it relieves some of the tensions which arise prior to landing. the more organised you are, the easier flying becomes.

fly safe

what cessna?
11th Jan 2001, 23:01
kb1
I used to work at an ATC unit which had a very busy GA environment and QXC flights were an everyday occurance. A couple of things I learned as a controller may help. Firstly, if you are 'landing away' the ATC unit may not be aware of what you want to do (unless you've phoned in advance to let them know you're coming) so if you want an overhead join it's better to let ATC know as soon as you can after you've made 2-way comms that you want one. It can be awkward if having been given your joining instructions for downwind you announce you wish to join overhead. Secondly, ATC are there to help so if you are unsure of anything tell someone and they can offer as much assistance as they can. Quite often i found QXC pilots could be given instructions, acknowledge them and then do something completely different because they didn't understand what they were asked to do and were too scared to ask for a bit more explanation. If you get into the overhead and are unsure of which way to turn to join the circuit, take your time and ask for a bit more time in the overhead to get your bearngs. Lots of people (as mentioned in the other replies) get it wrong! Don't worry about it! It happens!
Also for the record, the controllers manual describes a 'standard overhead join' to commence from the airfield overhead at 2000 feet on the QFE. If the particular airfield has an overhead join which differs from 2000 feet then the word 'standard' should not be used instead just 'overhead join' together with the height to join. For example, 'join overhead at one thousand five hundred feet for runway...'

Hope its some use

Mattu
13th Jan 2001, 00:00
I screwed my first overhead join up - I started descending on the active side !

Capt Wannabe
13th Jan 2001, 00:05
FNG, just out of interest, Norwich do not allow overhead joins due, I think, to the very close proximity of Coltishall. Which meant that when I did my PPL there the first overhead join I did was on my QXC at Cambridge!

------------------
CW

HugMonster
13th Jan 2001, 04:01
I never did an overhead join on my PPL training at all. I did it at Headcorn, which does not allow overheads because of the danger of mixing it with skydivers. I didn't do an overhead at all until I went to California, with 100 hours already under my belt. It was quite a shock!

------------------
Breeding Per Dementia Unto Something Jolly Big, Toodle-pip

FNG
13th Jan 2001, 12:19
Oddly enough, Norwich allowed me to join overhead when I first went there with an instructor. They were v quiet that day and Coltishall may have been closed. Next time I visited, on the QXC, I joined left base. but then had a runway faff. Two go-arounds later, I landed OK. Those sweeties in the tower still gave me a "good" tick in the airmanship box on the form. Since then I have been back a few times and done it properly. I do like Norwich ATC.

Riccarton
13th Jan 2001, 14:02
When I was a relatively new PPL, I made a potentially very dangerous join at Inverness (not my home base, I'd gone on holiday and hired a C152). I'd been used to overhead joins and didn't even consider the alternatives or consider the need to request permission from ATC - I just made an assumption - a wrong asumption - never assume!

From a local flight, I was at the end of the dowmwind leg at 2000' (runway 24L) when I called for re-join and was given the airfield information; I turned left and flew through the extended centreline, descended on what I assumed to be the deadside (out over the Moray Firth), proceeded crosswind, downwind, onto left base and landed. The Controller was totally cool, calm and collected and gave no hint that anything was wrong until the minute I vacated the active runway - then all hell broke loose! "NEXT TIME YOU WANT AN OVERHEAD JOIN, YOU *&@@@!!! ASK ME FIRST, YOU @@**&(!!!! etc.etc." I now know that the big jets inbound from the south have to remain high for terrain clearance until they're almost at the airfield; they then descend steeply out over the Moray Firth (effectively a right hand circuit) and join extended right base. or straight in, for runway 24. Apparently, I was minutes away from meeting a very big one nose-to-nose. Lesson learned!