PDA

View Full Version : 787 Gust Suppression Technology

Airspeedintervention
24th Aug 2011, 00:35
Seems to be an improvement over similar attempts of previous designs that tried to do this. Time will tell, theoretically I start 787 school in October.

Design News - Features - Boeing 787 Dreamliner Rolls Out Smoother Ride with Gust Suppression (http://www.designnews.com/document.asp?doc_id=213058)

atpcliff
24th Aug 2011, 01:17
VERY interesting!

I wonder if the 747-8 also has this technology? Probably not, I would guess.

VFD
24th Aug 2011, 01:51
Seems to be an improvement over similar attempts of previous designs that tried to do this. Time will tell, theoretically I start 787 school in October
First of all good luck with school.

After reading the linked article sounds fine for the punters in back.
My question would be will this system be active for approach and landing in gusty and/or crosswind conditions to help up the pilots up front?
Indicates that it responds to pressure differences around the surfaces of the aircraft before the mass of the aircraft moves.

Jr. Airman
24th Aug 2011, 02:19
any idea how this system differs from the gust suppression system installed on all 777s using the PFCS?

Intruder
24th Aug 2011, 03:30
Other airplanes (L-1011, F-16, F/A-18?) have used "active ailerons" to maintain attitude and relieve transient wing loads. This may be a variation on a theme.

One of the constraints, especially in RVSM, would be altitude hold fidelity, so it may be a much-improved look at the concept...