PDA

View Full Version : Lightning strike anyone?

airtaxi
15th Apr 2001, 23:14
Anybody out there have interesting stories to tell about being hit by lightning?

A couple of years ago, I was flying a Seneca over Scotland when a large flash and bang occurred. My passengers thought it had hit us but I didn't. Upon landing, an "exit wound" hole the size of a 50 pence piece was found melted through the tailplane trailing edge- no other damage though.

P.S- conditions were build ups of cumulus but certainly nothing I thought too nasty!

Speed Racer
17th Apr 2001, 03:33
Wasn't me flying this time, but i was a pax on a 737 that was taking a battering in quite a narsty storm. Sitting over the wing i saw a huge blue flash from what could of only been lightening, closely followed by the FA dropping a load of half eaten food trays, and exclaiming "oh goodness me".

Foyl
18th Apr 2001, 15:54
Try a search on Tech Log - I seem to remember a thread on this some time ago.

Feret
18th Apr 2001, 17:29
We were flying along one cloudy night and the FO was playing with the St Elmo's Fire on his windscreen, using his index finger.
Lightning suddenly struck the radome just in front of him with a tremendous bang and brilliant flash. Shortly after a brown smell filled the flight deck.
Never ever again did I see this same guy do his trick of running the fire around with his finger. :)