PDA

View Full Version : Returning to flying

artax
23rd Aug 2011, 10:52
After a layoff of four years due to the arrival of some children, my wife is trying to get back to flying. The problem is a lack of >recent< experience. After about 2 thousand hours on the B737 (plus turboprop, instructing etc), she's just renewed her B737 rating and is struggling to find work.

Does anybody have any ideas of where to look for short-term, poorly paid(!) flying just to get some hours in this years logbook?

Someone will be glad to hire her, it's just a question of introducing them to each other....

exeng
24th Aug 2011, 22:21
Very difficult now for your Wife to find a job in the RH seat of a jet after such a long time away from flying.

I tried to help an F/O (friend of a friend) who hadn't flown for just over a year. Despite several thousand hours in the RH seat of a 737 classic even a Nigerian airline would not consider him.

It does not seem right, but for now that is the way it is..

I'm sorry I can't offer you any constructive ideas on a way back on to the 737. Perhaps others may know better - even perhaps flying T/P's or something.

Anyway I wish all of you all the best.

Superpilot
25th Aug 2011, 19:24
Many application forms explicitly ask how many hours one has flown in the last 6 months and 1 year. There is a simple reason for this...to strike out those deemed to be "rusty". Unfortunatley, a recent LPC (on the sim) just doesn't cut it any more. Recruitment departments are not run by self-thinking airline pilots anymore. Normally you would expect a fair and equal assessment opportunity so you can prove your worth regardless of recent experience.... but no, not anymore. In this day and age of low cost, recruitment departments have heavy input from HR/Finance forcing them to make up harsh black/white policies which they feel help save time and reduce cost. Recent flying experience is one of those policies.

The most likely way to get re-hired will be through old contacts and friends. Forget sending CVs like the other thousand experienced AND current pilots. Secondly, it would have to be the dreaded 'P2F' (I tell it like it is)...whereby you contract with a ****ty airline somewhere on the planet to fly for 150 hours whilst you pay them about €100/hour. It's immoral, but it overcomes this modern system which neither you or I will ever be able change.

proxus
30th Aug 2011, 00:45
Try talking to Air Baltic. I've heard that for 15000€ out of your own pocked, you will get the privilege to grace their 737's right hand seat for 7-8 months. (Of course without salary).