PDA

View Full Version : Ledbury/Berrow - Eastnor Castle

stiknruda
21st Aug 2011, 20:18
I've been summonsed to appear at Eastnor Castle this BH Fri evening. It would appear to be a 3 day drive from Norfolk in a Series II Land Rover. So I am considering pushing the aeroplane out and flying down.

New laptop, not at home and not in full possession of the information set that I'd normal have, so can I beg of you to tell me which is friendlier, has tie-downs or even better hangarage and phone numbers of the "man"!

I need 400m of grass but would like more, I'll need to buy Avgas for the return trip. Does either strip have it - I'd need just under 40 litres, if I set off with full tanks.

Are cabs freely available? - they are not in my part of rural-shire!

Thank you in anticipation!

Stik

Monocock
21st Aug 2011, 20:57
Never been to Berrow but have used Ledbury a few times and have always been left to get on with it.

01531 660258

mossie1960
21st Aug 2011, 22:09
Use Ledbury and then drop into Gloucestershire for fuel.

22/04 grass if you really , really need it..

Humaround
21st Aug 2011, 23:20
The owner of Berrow (sorry I haven't a contact) does allow visits sometimes - not sure of the current state of play there. Be careful - there is a ROAD (small one) running across the westerly end - if a car appears you will both get a shock. Also an interesting change of height half way down the runway.

Neither Ledbury (or Dymock International Airport as the sign has it) or Berrow would have Avgas, AFAIK.

Gloucester does though, as pointed out above.

I agree with mossie1960, Ledbury. Plenty of length, about 600m I think.

DX Wombat
22nd Aug 2011, 09:31
Neither Ledbury ...... or Berrow would have Avgas, AFAIK.

Gloucester does though, as pointed out above.
So does Shobdon which has plenty of facilities for visitors and cheaper landing fees. :ok:

Pull what
22nd Aug 2011, 14:56
Ledbury has hangar construction going on at the moment-not sure if its available all the time

goldeneaglepilot
22nd Aug 2011, 15:39
I'm a little confused - I did a search for Berrow and got a Google maps link to the strip that I knew as Preston Court, which is an excellent strip 800m of well drained grass which had landing lights at one point (they might still be there) Grid reference 52.003404° -2.474664°. This is 3.47nm from Eastnor Bearing 242 from Eastnor Castle.

Looking on the map there is another strip 2.15nm away bearing 142 from Eastnor Castle.

The Flying Farmers association is a great source for finding airstrips, £25 per year plus £10 joining. I was a member some years ago and was astounded by how many strips became availible with the membership.