PDA

View Full Version : ATC post-incident procedure

slowclimber
21st Aug 2011, 09:31
I'm a UK airport ATCO. Most units have a procedure to follow after an major incident which includes how to deal with/look after staff. Mine does not. If you are an ATCO, could you describe a few details of your unit's procedures, and maybe how effective you think they are or how you think they might be improved? No unit names necessary, but I guess it would help if you said which country, and whether civilian or military, airport or area. PM's are fine too, but I figure that we can share the information. Genuine and quite urgent reason for asking.
Very many thanks,
Slowclimber.

ATC Watcher
21st Aug 2011, 10:34
It is called CISM ( Critical Incident Stress amnagement) a very precise et well working scheme. with trained peers, etc..
Contact GATCO, they know all about it for ATC , or type CISM in google.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Aug 2011, 10:37
Before all that came in, the odd hug and re-assurance didn't go amiss...

Plazbot
21st Aug 2011, 11:33
A hug? Harden up Princess.

Lon More
21st Aug 2011, 12:25
A hug, Bren? You were lucky, more likely a boot up the Erris for making the Supervisor's day a bit more complicated; and told to make the tea whilst you're thinking about your statement.:ouch::ugh:

It has changed (it had to). ATC Watcher's given some good starting info. but it can and should go a long way beyond that. Help should be offered immediately after the incident, during the investigative stage and after. Everybody's needs are different - ranging from a sympathetic ear over a coffee, or a beer in the pub afterwards, to full-on psychiatric help.

Not every unit can, or will do this. Unfortunately some find it a waste of time and money ignoring the fact that the staff are the unit's biggest asset.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
21st Aug 2011, 17:43
Lon .....Bizarre.... Heathrow and LATCC I'm talking about and I never experienced any irate Sups. I was one and never expressed irritation if an incident occurred. If someone has a frightener they need help and re-assurance that it could happen to anyone, and likely has.

slowclimber
21st Aug 2011, 18:51
Thanks chaps, including those who replied by PM (individual replies to follow). I and a number of colleagues have been surprised by the extent to which a recent incident has affected us, and I think it's time to push our management to catch up with modern-day procedures and practices.

Slowclimber

Spitoon
21st Aug 2011, 20:03
The thing to remember about CISM is that it's firstly designed to get controllers (and other staff) 'settled down' and back to work as quickly as possible. Whilst the concepts are good, like anything else, in the wrong hands it may not achieve much.

Whilst we will each have a different opinion and experience, I find CISM to be a case of giving what should be common sense and professionalism a fancy name. As ATC Watcher points out, a CISM scheme will have trained 'peers' - sadly, my experience is that those selected to be peers are sometimes the last people who should take on the role. In the worst case after going on a course one such suddenly became an expert in all things 'Human Performance' and claimed an unassailable expertise.

Cuddles
21st Aug 2011, 20:54
You mean it's not all pointing and recriminations?

2 sheds
21st Aug 2011, 21:07
I find CISM to be a case of giving what should be common sense and professionalism a fancy name. As ATC Watcher points out, a CISM scheme will have trained 'peers' - sadly, my experience is that those selected to be peers are sometimes the last people who should take on the role. In the worst case after going on a course one such suddenly became an expert in all things 'Human Performance' and claimed an unassailable expertise.
Thanks for that, Spitoon - there's a considerable number of Emperor's New Clothes initiatives around. Standby now for incoming!
Slowclimber - of course you are affected. You are normal, and unfortunately, **** happens.

2 s

Lon More
21st Aug 2011, 21:36
HD I started my career at LATCC and unfortunately did experience that.
Made me promise myself that should I ever become Supervisor I would find another way to do it. Idid, I hope, succeed on both counts.

The comment was slightly tongue in cheek. A lot of things were different back then - and not all the changes have been for the better.

Unfortunately many "Peers" treat the CISM course as another box to be ticked ffor the benefit of their own advancement.

Tarq57
22nd Aug 2011, 00:22
Ours is pretty good.
It is a variation of CISM called Critical Incident Stress Support, is part of a post-incident checklist, which includes, in the first instance, relieving affected staff from duty, ASAP.
Depending on the nature of the incident, this might be immediately (in one I experienced, after sorting out the loss of separation, my voice just shut down. Couldn't speak to save myself. I've seen this in a colleague, in another event, too. Unexpected ) or it might be a few minutes later, when the "dust has cleared"/immediate actions achieved.
It is administered/put in place by management, and the actual support is via ones peers/colleagues, who receive training in what to do. Later, if required, psych support is available. The ATCA is also available for various types of help, including legal, if needed.

Every employee in our outfit has a anti-stress course available. I thought I knew a little about stress till I did the course. It was a major eye-opener. Professionally run, with a number of different speakers representing various associated aspects (Physio, Sleep/fatigue, Personal values system, massage etc) giving us the good goss. Highly recommend.

Robot1
22nd Aug 2011, 01:08
Hi

I'm was an ATCO in what some may consider a minor European unit... we have an MOR system and CISM. My first MOR occured just 2 weeks after checking out as an approach controller. I lost separation between traffic on finals and the base (went down to 4 nm when 5nm was min). Anyway my watch manager was a renound tyrant... but i coundn't believe when he took me aside and said... you don't have to declare anything until you've heard the voice recordings and seen the radar playback. When you're in a tight spot you do what you can,,, but it's very difficult to account for your actions until after the adreniline has calmed down, Never commit to a full report until you review all the tapes.... My initial report read 'xxx base rwy xx... xxx finals rwy xx, standard separation lost'.

I was amazed after the event to find there was a major weather front passing though at the time that diviated the base traffic off course... but not as amazed at the actions of my so called tyranical watch manager who it turned out was a newly trained ( and very good ) CISM peer.

ATC can be a bxxxard of a job, and any unit that doesn't provide CISM type support is in serious breach of EU H&S legislation. The CAA should be informed if any unit under their remit is not complying with current H&S legislation... Will try to dig out a link for you... (Military may be a different story though:()

Gonzo
22nd Aug 2011, 07:39
It's very important in any CISM scenrio that a 'one-size fits all' approach is not used.

This has been my experience, the one and only time I've encountered it.

After a major incident, the whole watch was gathered together the next day: In turn we all described what we had seen, which did have its value in filling in the gaps which we all had regarding what had happened. However, then we had to describe how it had affected us. Some said how they had felt unsure about coming to work, some how they had slept badly etc etc, which I completely accept and understand. When it came to me, and I said that I was unaffected in any way, I was met with comments such as; "It will hit you at some point when you least expect it" and "as it was your birthday yesterday, you might suffer this time next year when something reminds you of it". I again said that I was fine, it hadn't affected me at all, and that luckily I'm the type of person who is laid back, relaxed and can move on with things very quickly. This was not accepted, and I felt like they believed I was trying to be macho and that it really had affected me.

Two and a half years on, and I'm still waiting for that sudden breakdown that I was told to expect (possibly while doing something as innocent as washing the dishes!).

So in my own limited experience, CISM appears not to allow the practitioners to accept that something hasn't affected you, and that if you claim it hasn't, then you must be wrong.

Talkdownman
22nd Aug 2011, 08:02
The 'critical incident' which creates the stress which requires managing is usually the investigation, not the incident itself.

Northerner
22nd Aug 2011, 17:28
HD - as far as I'm concerned even since it all came in the odd hug and reassurance is still very much required. :)

CISM can be absolutely excellent - I've seen it in practice really help people, however it is down to the person defusing to do it well and appropriately.

People do react differently (or in some cases not at all!) so one size can never fit all.

Cheers,
Northerner

P.S. Don't worry Gonzo, I'll still be there to help pick up the pieces when you do fall apart. :};)

"Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you're up to..."

Gonzo
22nd Aug 2011, 19:12
I can feel it approaching, N!

Talkdownman
22nd Aug 2011, 19:43
Keep your hair on, Gonzzz...

Gonzo
22nd Aug 2011, 19:49
It's far too late for that, I've already lost most of it!

slowclimber
22nd Aug 2011, 22:55
Thanks again for all contributions. Some PM's sent. I get the idea that CISM is generally a positive thing when applied flexibly and with common sense. Thanks to those who've offered information.

SC

Chro
23rd Aug 2011, 07:59
I'm a swede and I din't know if we got other procedures than you guys in the uk. But here's how we do it.

First of all the controller/controllers that were directly controlling the situation are taken out of the shift asap, other affected might be aswell. They (affected controllers and watch supervisor) listen to the tapes(and/or watch radardata) asap and gets debreifed with the watch supervisor and if possible with other affected controllers from nearby units, face to face or by phone.

They also get to go to a psychologist(mandatory) as soon as possible and are suspended until the chief of operations in charge see fit. Usually the day of occurence and the day after, depending on the seriousness of the situation.

canard68
23rd Aug 2011, 12:13
We had a MacDonalds application form for some contingencies.