PDA

View Full Version : QVAG event Caboolture 27/28 Aug 2011

Fliegenmong
20th Aug 2011, 22:41
Anyone turning up to this???

The Queensland Vintage Aeroplane Group & Australian Flying Museum Inc are a group dedicated to the airworthy preservation of Australia's historic aircraft. (http://www.qvag.com.au/fof.asp)

:ok:

NIK320
21st Aug 2011, 04:37
Didn't know it was on..

Just up the road so I shall certainly be diverting in to have a look.

PyroTek
21st Aug 2011, 08:25
I'll probably go for at least one day. :ok:

Jabawocky
21st Aug 2011, 12:15
I have been to the last few at Watts Bridge, this year it is at YCAB, yes the crappiest aerodrome in Austalia according to the Dr:8 and I expect that being closer to town it will pull a good crowd.

DC3 on it's way to Bundy did mid week so what will this do?

Should be a good weekend indeed if the rain is not too harsh.....has settled the dust though.:ok:

CHAIRMAN
22nd Aug 2011, 12:17
Won't be many Tigers there if the rain doesn't ease by Friday - most of them in the area are stuck at YBUD after the airshow.

Dora-9
22nd Aug 2011, 21:09
Quick off the mark, Chairman!

Currently four Tigers, a Genairco and two Chipmunks "stuck" at Bundaberg. Recovery tentatively planned for Friday....

A lot of history in this photo - the "youngest" aircraft (the two Chippies) were built in 1951, in a hangar erected in 1942.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Blithering/YBUD.jpg

Jabawocky
23rd Aug 2011, 03:59
Dora-9

I see one massive national disaster there..............see that Blue and Yellow Moth?

Stuck in YBUD for a week.........Watch the price of Bundy Rum outsrip Oil or Gold for value.

Lucky BEACH KING is not stuck there also, would be an economical disaster like the GFC.:}

Dora-9
23rd Aug 2011, 06:31
Shares in Bundaberg Rum plummeted when it was learnt that ALL the vintage pilots (that's pilots of vintage aircraft, not vintage pilots of aircraft Jaba) had rented cars and driven home yesterday.....

Jabawocky
23rd Aug 2011, 08:51
Do you guys need a lift to get back up there?

Maybe Des could take the Dragon up :)

Dora-9
23rd Aug 2011, 20:52
The Dragon was "broken" last weekend, he was scheduled to appear at Bundaberg but didn't make it. Probably, knowing Des, it was leaking a teaspoonfull of oil and he decided he had a problem - I get very envious as he has achieved Vintage Aviation heaven, a dripless Gipsy Major.

Given the weather Sunday he's probably thanking his lucky stars....

I look like having to catch the Tilt Train, which of course gets you to Bundaberg too late to fly home on the same day. Mumble, mumble.

Warbo
25th Aug 2011, 08:58
A few came in today, hopefully the weather doesn't scare too many visiting aircraft off, looking forward to a great weekend!

PA39
26th Aug 2011, 09:00
Weather permitting......yes I'm there.

Jabawocky
27th Aug 2011, 06:22
Wet day indeed, 5% crowd I guess.

Forecast suggests better tomorrow so if any is thinking about it come along.

Fliegenmong
27th Aug 2011, 06:39
Trudged around with wet feet for hours, no flying.....still loved every bit of it :ok:, shame cos I had a flight lined up with a mate's mate who was going to come in his AT-6 Ah well, gorgeous pair of Cessna 195s & that Waco, why were they so far way off by themselves??

PyroTek
27th Aug 2011, 08:09
I was there today. Was fairly wet (obvious?) but I spent my time inside being given coffee. I'll probably be there tomorrow, and if the weather is alright, I may even take an aeroplane for a lap!

Pyro!

Fliegenmong
28th Aug 2011, 00:19
I sure knew how to pick the wrong day! Ha ha

Ando1Bar
28th Aug 2011, 05:47
I've been to a number of the annual fly ins over the last ten years and I must say today's effort was terrible. Obviously the weather yesterday kept a large number of aircraft away, but moving it to Caboolture was a bad idea. Instead of being a fly in it was more like a poor-man's airshow, complete with bad commentary and cheap junk stalls without any real action in the air. Most of the flying involved the usual suspects taking people for joy flights.

I'd rather drive an extra two hours each way next year and see it back at Watts Bridge. Maybe I left too early, but I figured it wasn't going to get any better once 2pm had passed...

TBM-Legend
28th Aug 2011, 10:41
well you wouldn't have seen any action at Watt's Bridge if it was held there this weekend. The place was swamped.

QVAG do a great job. I wonder if any of the whingers here actually volunteer to do anything.:ouch:

I had a good time today given the big wet and of course the BOM forecast a wet one today..

PA39
28th Aug 2011, 10:56
Went there today (Sunday) and had a great time. Best aircraft was an RV 10, blue and white, tail # Lima something Lima !!:ok:

Ando1Bar
29th Aug 2011, 00:04
TBM,

Thanks, I've done my fair share of volunteering at such flying events over the years. Doesn't change the fact that yesterday was ordinary. I agree, QVAG do a good job, it just wasn't a very good event yesterday.

PyroTek
29th Aug 2011, 06:56
Went there today (Sunday) and had a great time. Best aircraft was an RV 10, blue and white, tail # Lima something Lima !!http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

You think it was good on the ground? You should try it in the air! :D

Jabawocky
30th Aug 2011, 08:55
PA39

Thanks mate, mind you Nigels WACO won the gong, Mind you if they accepted modern entrants it may have been in trouble!

And not sure who you are PA39.....but had I been there more during the day I would have been glad to meet you. As it was I had some flight testing to do on an RV7A. Nice machine it is too!