PDA

View Full Version : Garmin GPS 96 doesn't power up - hard reset?

172driver
20th Aug 2011, 21:02
Does anyone know how to do a 'hard reset' on a Garmin 96? After a software upgrade it doesn't want to power up anymore.... :{

Stephen Furner
20th Aug 2011, 22:04
It depends what you mean by a “hard reset”. My understanding of the term is that it means turning the power off and then back on again. In which case you just need to take the batteries out and then put them back in again. However, I suspect what you really want to do is restore the factory settings. I’ve not seen this facility on a 96. The only suggestion I can make is to reload the upgrade again since something seems to have gone wrong with its installation.

I guess it’s stating the obvious but always worth starting with the simple things first, have you checked that the batteries are fully charged and in the right way around?

172driver
20th Aug 2011, 23:43
Yes, what I mean is restore the factory settings. Have tried the obvious, no joy. The update seemingly went OK, got a 'software updated successfully' msg, then the unit turned itself off. And has remained in that state ever since...:{

Re-attempting the software upgrade won't work unless I can coax the darn thing back to life.....

Stephen Furner
21st Aug 2011, 00:23
I've not had this with my own 96. I can't see any obvious answer. Suggest an e-mail to Garmin Support (http://support.garmin.com/support/productSupport/productSupport.faces?productId=276)

172driver
21st Aug 2011, 00:47
Nor have I! I've had issues with updating databases in the past (this, btw, is also who this mess started), but never a problem with the sw upgrade. Anyway, have already sent an email to Garmin (before posting here), now waiting for reply.... will post answer here once I have it.

Stephen Furner
21st Aug 2011, 07:42
I’ve had this happen on a netbook, it just went dead and refused to show any signs of life. This was not as a result of an update but due to static build up. The cure was to remove the battery then hold in the power key. This discharged the static and brought the netbook back to life.

Great idea to post back here how you get on. I, and I expect many others, will be staying away from the 96 update service until certain we aren't going to experience the same fate.

IO540
21st Aug 2011, 08:55
I would remove the battery initially (for some hours) and if that doesn't do it I would open up the unit and short out (briefly; for seconds) any small internal battery (or better still remove it if it can be removed, for a while). The latter should force a re-initialisation of any battery backed up config.

172driver
21st Aug 2011, 17:23
I've tried taking the batteries out for several hours and now also the trick with the power button while they were out (thanks, didn't know that one).

I thought about the internal b/u battery, but am hesitant to open up the unit and short/remove it - contrary to IO540 I am not an electronics whizz!

Now waiting for the reply from Garmin support.

172driver
22nd Aug 2011, 17:48
Update:

Had a phone conversation with Garmin tech support. The hard reset key combo on the 96 is to hold the page/enter/power keys down together.

However, this did NOT bring my unit back to life, so it's on its way to Garmin for a repair :{

CAUTION: I am NOT a Garmin technician, you try the above at your peril!

172driver
3rd Sep 2011, 22:02
OK, I promised to report back, here's what happened - Garmin replaced (!!) the unit. Received a new one in the mail. No comment as to why, I guess it's simply cheaper for them.

So - kudos to Garmin for sorting this out very quickly, alas doesn't really answer the underlying issue of what went wrong.