PDA

View Full Version : LANDING --> FLARE ???

LETS FLY
14th Apr 2001, 22:59
Can someone tell me how i can make a good landing with a flare. Cause when i do it, i go to hard on the ground, or i fly to long over the runway, and land to late. PLEASE HELP!!!

Cuban_8
14th Apr 2001, 23:56
LF,

I know how you feel!! Exactly the same thing happened to me when i started to fly - just couldn't get the hang of those flairs!! Don't worry though, it really is just a matter of practice and familiarisation. In 20 hours time you'll be flairing with the best of them!

Regards,

Cuban_8

aristotle
15th Apr 2001, 00:28
Okay for the landing flare......

Look at the >far end< of the runway. It is very easy to look just ahead of you, and then the ground seems to be rushing up, and so the flare is done too early, the aircraft balloons a bit, then you hit hard or bounce. So the key is:
Look at the far end of the runway. You are now judging altitude using your peripheral vision. When the far end of the runway starts to 'come up' and flatten out, then you begin to gently apply back pressure. Think of it this way: you want to prevent the aircraft from landing while holding it about 1 to 2 feet above the runway. Then it will land itself, and quite smoothly at that.

How is your approach? Remember the key to a nice (in terms of smoothness and safety) landing is a stabilized approach. Any more questions ask away.

F/O Junior
15th Apr 2001, 16:10
Sim ? argh, then this is a different story ...

[This message has been edited by F/O Junior (edited 15 April 2001).]

LETS FLY
15th Apr 2001, 22:05
OK, thanx fot the advice to look to the end of the runway. But still i have some questions cause i still don't land good with on my flight sim 737-700. Maybe someone knows what the vertical speed is for tuch-down, and the speed to tuch-down. Also i don't really know when i have to shut down the engines when i'm landing. Most of the time i do it when the voice says: 30 (feet) but i don't know of this is good. En than my final question is at what height (in feet) i have to begin with the flare?? Hope someone knows the answer on the question. THANX

aristotle
15th Apr 2001, 23:29
Yes this is very different if this is a sim you are having the flare issues with.

low n' slow
16th Apr 2001, 14:41
here's what you do if you have a GPWS that calls out your altitude proir to touchdown. First you hear "fifty"- right, coming closer you think.
Then you hear "forty"- depending on how fast this one comes after the other, you know the trend. Here is where you can still correct the decsent if it's too fast.
Then you hear "thirty"- here is where you start the flare. At this stage the sink rate should have been corrected.
then "twenty" and "ten" are just a ref as to where you are and to monitor the flare.
should work. I'm no airline pilot though, so this might no be the way to go, but it works for me on FS 2000. It's should be different in real life though.
/lns