PDA

View Full Version : JAA ME Examiner in the US?

AdamFrisch
20th Aug 2011, 03:08
Three questions that are interconnected:

1. I would like to add my ME rating to my UK PPL here in the US. I can go through a school and get it done that way, but since I own a twin it seems more logical to just do it in the aircraft I own and know. Does anyone have any leads and contacts to examiners in the western part of the USA?

2. Also, how is the ME written dealt with in JAA? Does it have to be through a training facility or can I just do it on my own somehow? Online? If it has to be through a JAA facility, then there's not much point in me doing it as in point 1.

3. Do they do a complete feather/unfeather and shutdown as in the FAA checkride? Can it be simulated with throttle? Reason I'm asking is that my aircraft can't unfeather easily in flight as it doesn't have accumulators, so this is not something I'd feel very comfortable with unless I'm close to the airport. Obviously dependant on point 1 or 2's relevance.

Thanks.

Whopity
21st Aug 2011, 16:02
In order to add a MEP rating to a UK JAA licence you must complete a course of training at an approved FTO. The FTO provide the ground examination as part of the approved course. It is possible to use your own aircraft but it must be added to the FTO's approval; and they would also need a theoretical exam for the same type of aircraft.

Yes, it is mandatory to do an engine shut down and restart in both the training and the test.

If you obtain an FAA ME rating, you can convert to a JAA rating but you will still have to do the JAA ground exam at an approved FTO.

AdamFrisch
21st Aug 2011, 16:14
Apparently I can't convert. I can count the hours, but must still do a skills test and get checked out by FTO instructor.

Whopity
21st Aug 2011, 18:48
That's as near to a conversion as you'll ever get! Theory exam and Skill Test.