PDA

View Full Version : An A/G question..

Mikeoscar94
17th Aug 2011, 19:23
Hello readers,

I am about to start A levels next month and I am currently a PPL (A) student.

I was looking at becoming an A/G operator after my gaining my PPL and I have considered the option of applying to NATS in the future.

Would becoming an A/G operator benefit me in the sense of being employed by NATS as an ATCO in the future?

Kind regards,

Mike

VATCO
17th Aug 2011, 19:54
Hi I can't see it doing you any harm. It's always another thing on your CV.

2 sheds
17th Aug 2011, 19:57
Mike

I think that all can be said is that it would not do your case any harm! Be aware that the minimum age is 18 to hold an AGCS certificate and you would then have to find a co-operative A/G aerodrome in order to get practical experience thereafter - and that some of the requirements might well change next year. Good luck in whatever you do.

2 s

Mikeoscar94
17th Aug 2011, 20:10
Thankyou to both of you for your input :)

I have already contacted the A/G tower at the airfield I fly from (Tatenhill airfield) and they said that they'd be happy to have me seeing as they are low staffed.

I heard that all I would need is my R/T license which I was planning on doing with my PPL anyway.

Mike :ok:

vintage ATCO
17th Aug 2011, 20:26
No, you will need an Aeronautical Radio Station Operator’s Certificate of Competence which will require another exam. That will then be required to be signed off by the Aeronautical Ground Station Licence Holder.

You need to read CAP452 http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP452.PDF

CAA are proposing to increase the oversight of Air/Ground Operators, details here Consultation - Proposal to Amend ANO - Radio Operators Certifcate of Competence | Consultations and Letters of Intent | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=1350&pagetype=90&pageid=12337)

2 sheds
17th Aug 2011, 21:54
As Vintage says: CAA are proposing to increase the oversight of Air/Ground Operators and not before time. You should also be aware that you should have obtained the AGCS certificate before providing the service even under training, i.e. before you ever open your mouth on the radio. This is something that some units have been very casual about and I hope that CAA might do some @rse kicking in their direction.

2 s

chevvron
18th Aug 2011, 08:14
Just as an aside, the AGCS Certificate acts as a 'Student FISO' qualification ie you need to hold one if you have passed the FISO exams and are training for validation.