PDA

View Full Version : Kathmadu Approach

Stubenfliege
2nd Dec 2001, 20:23
Hi,

there were two major accidents, when a Thai and three month later a PIA Airbus flew into mountain sides on approach to Kathmandu Airport/Nepal.

Shortly after that, the goverment of the country annouced, that the Installation of a ILS will be "considered". Furthermore, the approach charts should be revised.

This was in 1992. Is there an ILS in Kathmandu right now?

Regards,

Stubenfliege

LAFalot
2nd Dec 2001, 21:05
Last flew into Kathmandhu winter 99/00, and there was no ILS then. A 6.6 degree approach angle was required on the VOR/DME procedure from memory landing to the north. Quite exciting...

Chimbu chuckles
4th Dec 2001, 21:56
No ILS a few months ago when last I went there. The missed approach would be a hoot too :D

Chuck.

najib
5th Dec 2001, 08:23
No ILS on either Runway. He is correct about the 6 deg. profle during some segments of the final approach therefore I dont know if ILS can be installed which can accomodate such a profile requirement. Any Feed back on that will be appreciated.

OzExpat
5th Dec 2001, 15:18
There's no data ever been produced, to my knowledge, for such a steep approach angle for an ILS. Could do it easily with an MLS but there'd still be the problem of the missed approach. I seriously doubt that you'd end up with anything even remotely resembling a Cat 1 minima because of the missed approach.

I suspect that would be why nothing has yet been done about a precision approach there yet.

nice_beaver
9th Dec 2001, 13:01
As i remember it, and it was some time ago, we managed to fly the VOR/DME descent path by flying a 3 degree( or very close to it ) slope from the platform altitude. This put you high in some sections of the 'stepped' approach but never low at anypoint and brought you to the MDA smack on.

It was a difficult approach with no help from ATC ( approx 3 changes of ATC authority in the latter part of positioning to the approach )but with proper planning and briefing posed no major hurdles.

The G/A procedure required some thougt.

Chimbu chuckles
10th Dec 2001, 07:43
Nice_Beaver a 3 deg will never get you to the minima in time! I was there last Wednesday and flew the 02 VOR/DME, it requires a 500'/nm profile. Depending on your TAS/GS you're looking at 1500 to 2000 FPM ROD!
A good mental math check as you fly the approach is 1/2 the DME + Elevation, i.e 8 dme = 4(x1000) + 4500 = 8500' etc etc.

Chuck.