PDA

View Full Version : Plane rental LA area ???

pawelmu127
16th Aug 2011, 13:17
Hello,

I’m planning cross-country trip in southern CA this Sep/Oct and would appreciate any tips on where to rent a decent and affordable C172 for a week in the LA area.

Since I'm planning a week of flying I would appreciate tips on rentals without a daily minimum fly time.

Any tips on places to visit in this beautiful state would also be greatly appreciated :)

Many thanks

Genghis the Engineer
17th Aug 2011, 08:03
I visit that neck of the woods fairly often and do a bit of flying if I can. My current preference is to go out to Palm Springs where I stay at a place called the Pepper Tree Inn. Last time I rented a very nice Turbo Arrow from Signature. There's also quite a nice little aircraft museum in Palm Springs that is worth visiting.

All three had informative websites last time I checked.

G

Katamarino
17th Aug 2011, 13:37
I found Channel Islands Aviation at Camarillo to be excellent. Their instructors and other staff were great and their aircraft, while not the cheapest, in superb condition. We did have one small technical issue while we were there and it was dealt with in a manner far above and beyond the level of service I would have expected!

172driver
17th Aug 2011, 16:08
I have used Justice Aviation in Santa Monica a number of times in the past and have been very happy with them.

Flying Lawyer
17th Aug 2011, 18:18
Any tips on places to visit in this beautiful state would also be greatly appreciated

Catalina Island, the 'Airport in the Sky', 20-25 miles off the LA coast.
http://img48.photobucket.com/albums/v146/FlyingLawyer/Catalina_approach.jpg
Challenging the first time - and care needed every time - but a great experience.

As can be seen in the photograph, the ground drops away sharply from the threshold of 22, so it's important to keep the picture focussed on the numbers, ignore peripheral vision, and be prepared for a downdraft on short final. You don't want to undershoot. :eek: The flare also needs extra care because you're landing on an uphill slope which can be deceptive and, just as you touch down, the runway disappears. (It's 3000+ feet but there's a hump.) Having landed, you can treat yourself to a buffalo burger in the airport cafe. :)
Getting to Catalina :: aircraft (http://www.catalina.com/airport.html#Airport)

LAX
The VFR corridor (LAX Special Flight Rules Area) is well worth doing.
4500 feet NW-bound and 3500 feet SE-bound, right over the top of LAX.
(Airline go-arounds are not above 2500 feet.)

Or, if you want to experience landing at a major international airport -
http://mw2.google.com/mw-panoramio/photos/medium/7846774.jpg
The landing fee used to be about $25 - less than at some small airfields in the UK.

San Diego
Flying down the coast from LA to San Diego is a fabulous trip. (About 100 miles). The two GA airfields are Montgomery Field about 6 miles from downtown and Gillespie Field at El Cajon about 10 miles NE.
If the controllers at North Island Naval Air Station and San Diego International (Lindbergh Field) are in a friendly mood and traffic allows, it's usually possible to get clearances to fly low level (not above 500') across the bay near the Coronado Bridge and then continue up the coastline. The San Diego bay area is spectacular - one of the most beautiful waterfronts in the world.
As you'll be in Southern California for a week, I recommend making it a day trip which would give you time to explore.

FL

pawelmu127
17th Aug 2011, 21:24
Many thanks for the tips posted so far. (i.e. i ask for more ... :) )

Flying Lawyer: WOW! The APT is spectacular! I will check it out for sure. And thanks for detailed post.

Katamarino
17th Aug 2011, 21:49
http://www.katamarino.co.uk/photos/usa2007/usa2007_25_lg.jpg

Shelter Cove is a bit further north, but pretty cool.

Cusco
17th Aug 2011, 22:20
You will need a Catalina Island checkout with an instructor before they let you fly there alone..............

As you will for Big Bear, another must in the LA area.

Mark 1
17th Aug 2011, 23:10
I can't advise on the 172s, other than they are available at most places. The club near me has a couple of decent ones at a low price, but it's a limited member club with a non-refundable joining fee.

Catalina is $25 to land now, or $150 a year for unlimited. I love hiking there so that's good value for me.

I was at Big Bear just over a week ago and it was 9000' DA; it took me nearly 500' to get airborne, but that was solo in an RV-8 with 180HP and CS.

Furnace Creek in Death Valley may be a bit more tolerable by October - 200' below sea level. There's another airfield just north of there at Stovepipe Wells within walking distance of Mosaic Canyon.
Borrego Springs makes a nice trip out of the hot season too.

Santa Paula has some interesting resident aircraft and a small museum in a nice setting; open house on the first Sunday of the month.

North over the mountains is Kern Valley in the mountains near Lake Isabella.

Adventure Pilot Home (http://www.adventurepilot.com/) & Fun Places to Fly, Aviation Events, Pilot Destinations, Aviation Blog, Aviation News, Airport Search, Airports, Runways, Aircraft Sales, Aircraft Photos, Ultralights, Light Sport Aircraft, LSA (http://www.funplacestofly.com/) you may find useful.

172driver
17th Aug 2011, 23:50
Catalina Island, the 'Airport in the Sky', 20-25 miles off the LA coast.

Catalina is really great, been there just yesterday!

Dave Gittins
18th Aug 2011, 12:09
I'm going to San Diego at the end of September and would like a couple of flights. After my spell in the ME am C of E and medical expired so can only fly "under instruction."

Any recommendations for somebody to use ?

Had already seen a few pictures of San Diego from the air before FLs post but am even more enthausiastic now.

DGG

Flying Lawyer
19th Aug 2011, 22:08
Dave

I'm sure you'll love San Diego. Beautiful, wonderful atmosphere and widely regarded as the best climate in America - hot, but not too hot, and rarely humid.
Some suggestions -

La Jolla, the jewel in San Diego's crown - about 20 mins North of downtown.
Very pretty, an affluent area but with a down to earth atmosphere, good beaches each with a different character, lots of interesting shops (no big stores) and some excellent restaurants.
Mt. Soledad Veterans Memorial, about 5 mins drive from the centre of La Jolla.
The views are spectacular in every direction.
Some protest groups have been trying to have the Cross removed :rolleyes: but they haven't succeeded yet (32 years) so I'm sure it will still be there in September. (The protesters have won most technical legal arguments in the long-running court battle but the City of SD, supported by the overwhelming majority of SD voters, is equally determined it should stay so the fight goes on - and will probably end up in the US Supreme Court eventually.)

Coronado - a 10 minute drive from downtown, over the 2 mile long Coronado Bridge.
Very pleasant beach - and usually a good selection of military aircraft passing overhead to and from the nearby North Island Air Station. The famous Hotel Del Coronado, reputedly one of the oldest and biggest all-wooden buildings in California, has featured in many movies.

Tijuana - about 17 miles.
A tourist trap in many ways, but still an interesting experience IMHO.(Mexican food is better in San Diego.)
The easiest way to get there is probably the San Diego Trolley but, if you want more flexibility, drive to the border and leave your car in the parking lots on the US side. Most (all?) rental companies don't allow cars to be taken across the border.

USS Midway Link (http://www.midway.org/)

If you're going at the end of September, that coincides with the annual Miramar Air Show. Miramar is now a Marine Corps Air Station but is best known as the former home of the US Navy Fighter Weapons School - made famous by the Top Gun movie.

I haven't used any flight schools recently so can't offer any recommendations but there are several at the two GA airfields I mentioned in my previous post. I've tried various schools over the past 30 years and have always been satisfied.

Have a great time. :ok:
FL

Cusco
19th Aug 2011, 23:13
Go to Chiriaco Summit and have your burger with real bikers.............

Flying Lawyer
20th Aug 2011, 11:13
La Jolla is for gli anziani (in mind, body or both)
You should tell the locals who hang out around Bird Rock and surf at Windansea Beach that. :)

La Jolla is certainly an affluent town but the neighbourhoods have different atmospheres and the coastline, the real asset of La J, is open to all (no private beaches).
If a flat mile-long expanse of sandy beach, gentle waves, palm trees, bougainvillea and a backdrop of some of the most expensive real estate in California appeals, then La Jolla Shores is a good place to go. (But not at weekends.)
If it doesn't then Bird Rock, just a few minutes drive in the other direction, couldn't be more different. It's a much younger neighbourhood and has a very different shoreline - rugged beach, reefs, small coves, very quiet and uncrowded. No facilities on the beach but lots of moderately priced restaurants/bars just couple of blocks away, or buy a disposable and do what many locals do - barbecue on the beach.
Nearby Windansea Beach is the place to surf - or just marvel at the skill of the surfers. It's called Windansea for good reason - lots of wind and hard breaking surf right up to the shoreline. (Not suitable for small children.)

I've flown over the desert, but haven't been to Jacumba. Thanks for posting the tip.
Agree with you about the North County coastal towns.
Ocean Beach? Hmm. :(
I suppose if Dave wants a 'head shop' or a tattoo or some body-piercing while he's in San Diego, then Ocean Beach would be a good place to go. ;)

FL

gaxor
20th Aug 2011, 16:28
I had a very good experience at Palomar Airport Carlsbad between LA and San Diego

BHenderson
20th Aug 2011, 22:44
As others have alluded to, you will require a checkout flight for Big Bear or Catalina. Most rental agreements I came across preclude operations on anything but tarmac. They can also mandate that you are high enough to make landfall when over the water - more applicable to the Catalina crossing. I suspect an instructor would also want you to demonstrate the LAX corridor before you went solo through it. My agreement was 2000 feet, tarmac, minimum. I did Furnace Creek in a C150 in July time; 47 deg C (roughly 6000ft DA if I recall correctly), but Big Bear at 9000ft DA without a turbo would be asking for trouble!

Beware that 'cheap' and 'quality' can be mutually exclusive.