PDA

View Full Version : Warm boots 4 winter

Dreamweaver
30th Nov 2001, 23:54
Flying sheds on euro route, the old tootsies get a little nippy. I'd be obliged if anyone could recommend a warm pair of boots; furry but not camp :)

Best regards

DW

zerozero
1st Dec 2001, 00:23
I'm not sure if I can help you or not. I'm an American so I don't know what brands are available where you live. But I do have some experience with cold feet.

Here's the bottom line: Blood circulation is critical to keeping your extremeties warm. That means whatever type of boot or glove you wear it should be fairly lose fitting--that is to say, it should have enough room so that you can wear a good thick wool sock *and* a thin polypropylene liner. The liner will wick away the moisture to the wool sock which insulates the heat carried to your foot by your great circulation because you have a boot that's big enough to allow for all those layers <deep breath> :)

So back to the boot: When I worked out in the cold I just wore a normal work boot (with thick socks) down to about -18 C. When it got colder than that I wore an insulated Sorel Caribou (Canadian brand, may not be in business anymore). That was good to about -35 C but kinda clumsey on the rudder pedals.

Realistically you'll probably have to experiment a little with boot and sock combination to see what works best for you.

Good luck!

Dreamweaver
1st Dec 2001, 04:07
Thanks ZZ

Just had a look at a website featuring sorel, la crosse & Baffin. Some good for minus 35deg. Thanks for the info, I'll probably take your advice & get normal workboots with thick socks. The feet do suffer a bit here, but can't compete with your Alaskan temps.

Regards

DW

Dreamweaver
1st Dec 2001, 04:11
above should read - good for minus 135 Celsius - amazing.

DW

wysiwyg
1st Dec 2001, 13:22
I just used a good pair of thermal socks when I used to fly the Saab 340. Worked a treat. Now I thank god for Mr Boeings foot warmer switch.

wizzy