PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Recommendation

tdk90
14th Aug 2011, 22:30
I have a UK ATPL(A) Multi Crew only (5500TT), but also a FAA ATP with Commercial Single, IR, Instructor, plenty of single engine experience (1200hrs+) several years a go but all FAA no JAA single engine at all.

I'm looking to add single engine privileges to my JAA ATPL, after many years of airline flying I just want to fly a cub or similar out of a small strip a couple of times a month..

Can anyone recommend a UK school where I could add the SEP, get a tailwheel qualification and rent a plane occasionally.

I live in Suffolk.

Thanks a lot.

Scott C
14th Aug 2011, 23:39
If you don't mind travelling north to get your SEP and tailwheel done, then I would recommend Tatenhill Airfield - Approx 15nm West of East Midlands Airport - it's where I fly from!

The C152 is £127 Dual or the Warrior is £142 Dual to do your SEP.

For Tailwheel, the Decathlon is currently £148 per hour dual or £132 Solo...Good fun to play in i've been told (Not flown it myself yet), especially if you're in to your Aero's as well! ;)

I hope this helps :)

Mickey Kaye
15th Aug 2011, 08:07
Advanced Flight Training at Sherburn have a Chipmunk for 100 Dry

S-Works
15th Aug 2011, 09:23
If you want to come across to me near Peterborough I would be happy to do it for you. I would suggest you do the SEP in a simple nose wheel to capitalise on your experience and then move onto TW.

Stampe
15th Aug 2011, 09:36
As you live in Suffolk,I can heartily recommend the club at Andrewsfield near Stansted it can provide all you want,lots of commercial pilots fly there and it has a good social side.Also look at the clubs at Old Buckenham and Seething in Norfolk both have enthusiastic followings.VBR Stampe

taff_lightning
15th Aug 2011, 14:48
Stapleford flight centre, essex, have a supercub and I'm sure would be happy to help. Also have a stack of other small singles.

tdk90
19th Aug 2011, 15:55
Thanks for the replies!

Also, if I have a current ME IR do I automatically have an IMC rating once I have my SEP or is that additional?

Thanks

Genghis the Engineer
19th Aug 2011, 16:40
Thanks for the replies!

Also, if I have a current ME IR do I automatically have an IMC rating once I have my SEP or is that additional?

Thanks

The "book of words" on this is LASORs which you can download from the CAA website and look it up in, but I believe that there is no automatic mapping from a multi-crew IR to a single pilot qualification.

When you do look it up, you'll find the following around p249:

An applicant who has held an ICAO IR(A) or military
green aeroplane Instrument Rating or a UK professional
pilots licence aeroplanes at some time in
the 10 years before the date of application for the
IMC Rating will be exempt from the requirement to
undergo a formal course of flight or ground training
but will need to pass the ground examination and
initial IMC Rating flight test.

An applicant who has held an ICAO IR(A) or military
green aeroplane Instrument Rating or a UK professional
pilot licence aeroplanes or a valid Aircraft
Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) Ground
Instructors Certificate at some time in the 5 years
before the date of application for the IMC Rating will
be exempt from taking the ground examination.

JAR-FCL CPL(A) or ATPL(A) holder with valid
Multi-Pilot IR(A) only
The holder of a JAR-FCL professional aeroplane
licence with a valid multi-pilot IR(A) only is not
automatically entitled to fly using the privileges of
an IMC Rating in single-pilot aeroplanes. They will
be required to pass an IMC Flight Test and apply to
PLD for a separate IMC Rating endorsement.

G

tdk90
19th Aug 2011, 19:37
Thanks Genghis, much appreciated.

BillieBob
19th Aug 2011, 20:23
It also depends on whether you hold a UK ATPL(A) or a UK issued JAA ATPL(A). The IMC Rating is embedded in the former but not the latter.

Whopity
19th Aug 2011, 20:57
I have a UK ATPL(A)ANO Schedule 7The holder of an Airline Transport Pilot's Licence (Aeroplanes) is entitled to exercise the
privileges of a United Kingdom Commercial Pilot's Licence (Aeroplanes)
(1) The holder of a Commercial Pilot's Licence (Aeroplanes) is entitled to exercise the
privileges of a United Kingdom Private Pilot's Licence (Aeroplanes) which includes an
instrument meteorological conditions rating (aeroplanes) and a night rating
(aeroplanes) or night qualification (aeroplane).Besides which, the UK ATPL does not contain the limitations found in a PPL that the IMC rating is designed to get around.to fly as pilot in
command of an aeroplane without being subject to the restrictions contained
respectively in paragraph (2)(c) or (f) of the privileges of the United Kingdom
Private Pilot's Licence (Aeroplanes)
But if per chance your ATPL is a JAA Licence, you don't have the privilege as stated.

tdk90
20th Aug 2011, 15:27
Thanks, can I do the SEP in a non-complex airplane?

madlandrover
20th Aug 2011, 18:40
Thanks, can I do the SEP in a non-complex airplane?

Yes, it's purely a class rating, so you can do it in anything within the SEP class.

BillieBob
21st Aug 2011, 07:41
It's also worth bearing in mind that, after the EU Regulation comes into force, the training required in this case may be given only by the holder of an ATPL(A).

mad_jock
21st Aug 2011, 11:23
Class rating test then you can sit an IMC test and they will add both onto your license at the same time. Although there maybe some worth to doing the full SPA-IR if done before EASA kicks in it will bullet proof you and won't cost much extra in the grand scope of things. Saves having to deal with IMC recommeded minimas and other such stuff. Once you have the SPA-IR they will issue a IMC on the back of a current one of them.

After having to do the IMC test myself after several years of multicrew LPC's its not a bad idea to revisit partial panel and the difference between RMI's and RBI's

Whopity
21st Aug 2011, 11:49
it will bullet proof you and won't cost much extra in the grand scope of thingsUnless the holder only ever had a MP IR or has gone past the 7 year point!