PDA

View Full Version : Skydemon and MSA

tmmorris
14th Aug 2011, 19:10
I've downloaded the evaluation version of Skydemon so I can play with the GPS simulator; I'm thinking of buying one to replace my Lowrance Airmap 1000. I've just tried planning a route from Benson to Dunkeswell on it, checking it against a map, as a test exercise.

It's all fabulous EXCEPT that its MSAs as printed on the plog are way off. In every case it seems to be ignoring spot heights. E.g. it thinks the MSA Benson - CPT is 800, ignoring a spot height of 611 (giving an MSA of 1900). Similarly on the last leg, Wells - Dunkeswell, it gives 1900 yet there is a spot height of 1035 near Dunkeswell, making the MSA 2400.

Am I missing something in the software, or is this a dangerous bug?

Tim

edited to add - complete route was Benson - CPT - Avebury - Wells - Dunkeswell, in case you want to try it for yourselves...

tmmorris
14th Aug 2011, 19:27
or does the free version not do terrain?

If so, it shouldn't be calculating MSAs :-)

Tim

Cows getting bigger
14th Aug 2011, 20:09
It depends what you mean by MSA. Remember, you are talking about a VFR planning tool.

Contacttower
14th Aug 2011, 20:32
I think the MSA is adjustable, ie there is somewhere to set the safety value you want in the program. Exactly where I can't remember.

late-joiner
14th Aug 2011, 21:36
Menu bar -Setup -Preferences -General tab

tmmorris
15th Aug 2011, 17:47
Ah - thanks - also discovered that although I'd downloaded the UK chart, I'd not downloaded the terrain database. All working well now.

Tim