PDA

View Full Version : VFR on French Airways?

Contacttower
13th Aug 2011, 22:36
I just have quick question about doing this; I've flown in France quite a lot, sometimes IFR, sometimes VFR. In the past I've either flown IFR or when VFR just gone point to point and got clearances when necessary.

However if I join an airway VFR, maintaining correct level for track etc and that airway passes through a TMA or something that is class D, do I need a clearance for that even if I'm on the airway which is class E?

Example: (Looking at the SIA 1:1,000,000 chart) Following A3 via Moulins north or south which has a MEA of FL65 which passes through Saint-Yan TMA which is class D airspace up to FL85? Is a clearance for the class D needed?

IO540
13th Aug 2011, 22:50
The routings which UK PPLs often call "airways" are just routes in Class E airspace, which is controlled for IFR but not for VFR.

The bits of Class D you do need a clearance for (ICAO, except in the USA) but nowadays you get a seamless radar service in France and it is all a non-event.

A and C
14th Aug 2011, 17:56
VFR in the airways in France is without doubt the best way to cover large distances but they do expect that you will be able to give an ETA for FIR entry & exit points so make sure these points are in your GPS flight plan or you will be doing some fast adding up !