PDA

View Full Version : Concussion/Head Injury.

Milton1995
11th Aug 2011, 18:32
Hi chaps, had my class 2 medical a couple of days ago and it was all fine, but i needed to provide a report of a CT scan i've had. I picked it up today and dropped it off.
It reads:
'Clinical information head injury- Ko'd 3-4 minutes. Nauseous. Retrograde amnesia >30 min.

CT brain
Unenhanced axial scans have ben performed through the brain, No intracranial or intracerebral haemorrhage seen. No focal masss or midline shift. The ventricles and CSF spaces are symmetrical and normal in calibre. No subdural or extradural collections. No obvious bony injury.
Conclusion
No obvious focal abnormality seen on the unenhanced scan. No definite intracranial haemorrhage seen,'

Baring in mind this is a class 2 inital medical, does everything seem in order? I would also like to get a class 1 medical in the future so does this all seem fine?

Many thanks for your time.

DX Wombat
11th Aug 2011, 22:34
You don't say how long ago this occurred but it sounds nice and normal to me. :ok: No obvious focal abnormality seen on the unenhanced scan. No definite intracranial haemorrhage seen,'
Those "Nos" are good. :) Had there been any doubt then a more detailed scan would have been performed. There wasn't any doubt then so there should be no need for doubt now. I think you will find that all will be well.

Squat switch
12th Aug 2011, 13:03
Check JAR FCL 3 appendix 11 it will give you the guidance.

If you are dealing directly with CAA at Gatwick then they will be only too glad to help you, contrary to popular belief they do try to keep you flying.

Class 1 may be more tricky, again take the advice from Gatwick but be prepared to have an MRI private cost around £400 as the CT is unenhanced.

Best of luck

Rory Dixon
12th Aug 2011, 18:39
This is an absolutely normal CT of your head. After trauma one wants to exclude bleeding into the brain, as this would cause serious problems. But your scan is absolutely normal. No need for contrast in this setting.
JAR-FCL 3 demands a (plausible) reason for your unconsciousness, full restitution to normal, and a low risk of seizures. Therefore the CAA might ask you to visit a neurologist and do an EEG (measuring electirc activity of the brain).
If you had no further problems after your (single) knock out, you should do o.k.

gingernut
12th Aug 2011, 19:19
Hate to break the news, but your CT scan suggests that you are 100% normal. (Or at least your brain is.)

Doctors love playing with there fancy gadgetry, and to be honest, they are duty bound to perform this sort of scan if you were knocked out.

Enjoy your flying.

Milton1995
12th Aug 2011, 21:13
cheers for the help guys! Everything was fine, medical issued :ok:.
Not looking to upgrade to class 1 for about 2 years now, and considering the injury happened this march would it really be a problem? I will of course take the report with me, is it likely to cause problems?

homonculus
13th Aug 2011, 10:12
As has been said - the CT is normal. It was presumably to look for a bleed from the head injury and there was none

So the question was what was the injury? - if you were playing rugby and lost consciousness for a few seconds, no problem. If you had major injuries in a road traffic accident, or had prolonged loss of consciousness, or have had post head injusy personality chaanges Gatwick may be more interested

As has been said time and time again, iit is VITAL to ensure your doctor doesnt write something that risks your licesne simply from ignorance - putting down that your loss of consciosuness was more than a few seconds and you then had secondary amnesia was totally unecessary for the CT request. It may or may not have been accurate (you presumably couldnt have told him that as you were pieballed!!!!!) but sadly it is on your record.

Telling Gatwick fibs is naughty. Stopping your doctor speculating is good advice