PDA

View Full Version : hmmm, what does light mean..?

pinky
15th Nov 2000, 20:37
Hi all, I'll probably be shot down in flames for this but here goes..
For those of you that don't know me, I'm currently studying for my ATPL. Before I can start the CPL flight training I need to have 150 hours - I almost have, but I want to build a further 100 hours or so on a twin rather than a single.
A couple of the instructors at my club said that I should avoid doing my multi rating on a 'Light Twin' - but what exactly does this mean??
I want to go to the States to do it, and all I can find are places offering PA23's is this 'Light'?

Sporadic E
15th Nov 2000, 22:56
Pinky,

I might be wrong but I would have thought that by "light twin" they probably meant something like a Beech Duchess which has very marginal S/E performance. An Aztec would be much better (bigger/faster/sexier)or if you're going to the USA then maybe even a Beech Baron. Any bigger than this and you're looking at Navajo, C310 etc. but these are v.v.expensive, even "over there". But like I said, I might be wrong.

redsnail
16th Nov 2000, 12:45
a 737.....
Right Hamrah? :)

------------------
reddo...feral animal!

[This message has been edited by redsnail (edited 16 November 2000).]

A and C
16th Nov 2000, 20:09
Pinky the smaller the aircraft the harder it is to fly but the light twins were made for training low time pilots so i would advise you to fly the cheapest best maintained twin you can find with the best instructor you can afford the beech76 or PA44 spring to mind.

Captain Airclues
18th Nov 2000, 19:42
Pinky

Could your instructors be refering to to difference between a twin that requires a class rating (MEP (Land)) and a larger more complex twin that requires a separate type rating? If you obtain a MEP class rating then you will be able to fly any aircraft of in that class, whereas a type rating will restrict you to that type.
The list of aircraft requiring a class or a type rating are in AMC FCL 1.215, but I don't have a copy at home. I can get hold of a copy when I next go to the airport if you are unable to get hold of one.

Airclues

www.jaa.nl/jar/jar/toc0572.htm (http://www.jaa.nl/jar/jar/toc0572.htm)

P22
20th Nov 2000, 00:02
If you do your rating on a 'light twin' (MEP Class Rating), then you will only be able to get a job with someone operating one of these types for aerial work. However most of these types (Baron, PA-23 etc) are used either for private flying or for schools.
If you do your rating on an aircraft that requires an individual type rating, then you will be better placed to get a job with someone operating that type, as they won't have to give you a conversion course.

Flap 5
20th Nov 2000, 00:20
pinky,

To answer your question 'light' means any aircraft under 5,700Kgs.

Flap 5
20th Nov 2000, 00:33
To answer your second question a PA23 is definitely a light twin.