PDA

View Full Version : validity of previous medical results?

Domzy
11th Aug 2011, 12:36
Im looking to do my ppl next year at some point and have a question about the medical regarding colour blindness. (i understand this subject has been done to the death)

I know im slightly colourblind and know i will fail the ishihara test plates as i have failed them on countless medicals before. Now i know that the next stage (if i want unrestricted flying) is to get a lantern test carried out...

Now, in 2009 i joined the fire service and part of the initial medical was to be tested for colour blindness (ishihara test plates) which i failed 7 errors from the first 16 plates (38 plate 1966 edition). The next stage in my process was to go to Glasgow Caledonia University eye clinic to get a more thorough test carried out to determine the severity of my colour deficiency. The test results are as follows -

City university spot test (second edition) - Binocular Pass no errors

Farnsworth D15 Test Binocular Pass no errors

Nagal Anomaloscope Midmatch point 33.1, Matching range 16.6 (diagnosis simple Deuteranomalous Trichromat)

FM 100 Hue error score 68 (average discrimination)

Holmes Wright Lantern Type A Binocular Pass no errors (light adapted)

Diagnosis: Mild Deuteranomalous Trichromatism.

I was accepted for the fire service after these results.

Back to my question - if (when) i fail the ishihara test in the medical do i then have to sit (and pay for) another lantern test or can i use the results from my previous test above. Also if someone can decipher my results for me that would be great - am i likely to pass another lantern test easily or will it just be my luck on the day - as i felt some of the lights where almost 50/50 green/white sometimes.

Genghis the Engineer
11th Aug 2011, 13:30
You'd be best deleting this and reposting the same question in the "medical and health" page on PPrune.

G

Pace
11th Aug 2011, 13:32
Domzy

You would be better posting this in the medical section as there are AMEs who float around in that forum and they would be able to give you an opinion off your results.
Some AMEs are tougher over colour blindness than others. I have a fraction which has been passed by many AMEs unrestricted over many years flying.
Until I got to one who decided at over 50 I needed the lowest strength reading glasses.
He told me I needed to get the glasses and resit the eye tests before he would issue my medical.
Off I trundled and being a sensitive soul demanded that my new glasses looked like light sunglasses and not glasses.
Armed with my Ray Ban lookalike reading glasses ;) off I trundled for a retest with the AME.
I could not read a thing in the colour book much to the horror of the AME!
Then it dawned on me! say you wore blue tinted glasses and the best colour sighted person in the world looked at yellow would they see yellow? No they would see green.
A huge arguement ensued with demands that I take a lantern test by the next medical and come back with a new set of clear reading glasses before he would issue this one.
I argued with him that was he going to ban all pilots using sunglasses as the whole lot would effectively be colour blind on putting on the sunglasses.
That medical cost me a fortune in glasses and time and I sat the lantern test which I passed with flying colours.

Pace

Dave Gittins
11th Aug 2011, 13:41
Will be surprised if 2 year old medical test results are accepted.

Mimpe
11th Aug 2011, 13:51
its just a quick phone call by the dame to sort this kind of thing out.

Also, many juristictions will have clear guidelines that are publically available that detail things like recency of test results.

In australia you can just logon to the CASA website and you would probably find the answer in the DAMES handbook ...Opthalmology section.

These sorts of results dont change much over time, unlike cardiac testing for example, so I would be optimistic.

Also there are very experienced Designated Aviation Opthalmologist..you may have even visited one, who may know the answer briefly put.

Domzy
11th Aug 2011, 14:30
You'd be best deleting this and reposting the same question in the "medical and health" page on PPRuNe.

done this already and got no replys - it got moved to the vision : colour blind section where i presume no one can be bothered looking at it as its been done to the death. thought id chance my arm here to see if any knowledgable person would be able to advise.

IO540
11th Aug 2011, 15:19
Possibly on a slight tangent, isn't a passed CV test valid for life (for aviation medical purposes), regardless of whether you do any flying in the meantime?

Pace
11th Aug 2011, 15:24
Domzy

As Colour blindness doesnt change over the years ie doesnt get worse or better
I would imagine the fire service tests would suffice or would be duplicated by any CAA test.

Pace

Cusco
11th Aug 2011, 16:32
Get on the telephone to the CAA Medical department and talk to an expert rather than seeking advice on a complex problem from a load of amateurs.

They don't bite.

You know it makes sense.

flybymike
11th Aug 2011, 17:31
I argued with him that was he going to ban all pilots using sunglasses as the whole lot would effectively be colour blind on putting on the sunglasses.

Just like all the red coloured main roads on the chart which disappear when flying at night under red light conditions.;)

Pace
11th Aug 2011, 17:49
Cusco

complex problem from a load of amateurs.

Stop being such a boring old sod ;) I get all my medical information from the daily mail one of the most respected sources in the land :E
What does he expect from the private pilot forum

Pace