PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi engineer sucked into engine: killed

The Green Goblin
8th Aug 2011, 00:30
Man sucked into New Zealand aircraft engine | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/man-sucked-into-new-zealand-aircraft-engine/story-e6frfku0-1226110679629)

Poor bugger :{

teresa green
8th Aug 2011, 01:13
Absolutely shocking. Its happened before, the 737 is one of the culprits, as is the worst of all, the Sabre. There has been some terrible accidents with LAME"S in QF as well, the worst being a engineer being decapitated by a Connie, and another killed when a armed door was opened in a hanger, and no need to tell what happened next, but he was crushed against the scaffolding. A terrible and timely warning to all who walk the apron.

airsupport
8th Aug 2011, 02:06
Deepest sympathies to all involved, especially the Family of the Engineer, but also all those involved. :(

Timely reminder to stay as safe as possible out there around aircraft. :(

waren9
8th Aug 2011, 02:30
Likewise.:(

Fyffe to put out something more this afternoon. NZ media are reporting it as a C130 engine on a test stand.

Man killed in plane engine testing accident | Stuff.co.nz (http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5406796/Man-killed-in-plane-engine-testing-accident)

onetrack
8th Aug 2011, 02:58
I do not have precise details of the accident, but I'm a loss to understand why there isn't a safety mesh grid of some kind between personnel, and a engine being tested under power, in a test facility?

My sympathies go to the engineers family and his co-workers.

TWT
8th Aug 2011, 03:31
Man sucked into NZ plane engine (http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/8282549/man-sucked-into-nz-plane-engine)

This report claims 'it is thought he entered the safety enclosure while the engine was running'

But the source of this 'thought' is not identified.

1me
8th Aug 2011, 03:54
I do not have precise details of the accident, but I'm a loss to understand why there isn't a safety mesh grid of some kind between personnel, and a engine being tested under power, in a test facility?Sometimes engines require manual trim adjustments to be performed whilst running.

However it is always a sad day when someone doesn't get to go home.. :(

Oxidant
8th Aug 2011, 05:58
However it is always a sad day when someone doesn't get to go home..

Amen to that, deepest sympathy to his family & workmates.

onetrack
8th Aug 2011, 06:13
The greatest safety line ever contantly drilled into me, and which is in the front page of virtually every machinery service manual, is.... "Never attempt to adjust, repair, or lubricate any machine or engine, that is in motion".

I do understand that there is occasionally a need to adjust a running engine. However, this must always be done with the recognition that you're playing with fire, by doing so.
If the test system involves the possibility of placing oneself at serious risk by carrying out those adjustments, then surely, the test procedures must be revised to reduce the personal injury risk to as low a level as possible.

1me
8th Aug 2011, 10:45
onetrack sometimes there is no other option.

UPPERLOBE
9th Aug 2011, 05:13
Correct 1me, although sometimes familiarity can breed contempt and engineers can get bitten by a 'routine' action which they have performed many times.

Some engines can only be manually trimmed and the most expedient way is to do it with said engine running, we used to do it that way every time on the P&W powered 707's.

9th Aug 2011, 12:48
Deepest sympathy to the family and work mates from all of us.

This is the harshest reminder of the deadly environment we operate in day and night - take heed of this tragic event and be ever vigilant!

blackhand
10th Aug 2011, 08:05
The greatest safety line ever contantly drilled into me, and which is in the front page of virtually every machinery service manual, is.... "Never attempt to adjust, repair, or lubricate any machine or engine, that is in motion".With all due respect, in this industry the greatest safety line is:-- be ever vigilante and aware of your surroundings.
We have no option than to adjust engines, track and balance propellers and rotors all whilst the thing is running and making large amounts of noise.
It is so fkcuing easy to have a lapse and the consequences are fatal.

RIP