PDA

View Full Version : How long does the class 2 medical take?

Milton1995
7th Aug 2011, 22:34
Cant find an answer to this anywhere, its an initial btw. Had some interesting answers from various people. Of course it will vary, but I'm hoping to get through relatively unscathed :ok:
M1995.

flybymike
7th Aug 2011, 23:09
Initial I would say at least an hour, but mine was many many years ago...

flyinkiwi
7th Aug 2011, 23:29
Depends on who does it. My first one had to be sent away for final approval (which added several weeks to the wait), the second one was done on the spot because the doctor had the right qualifications. I don't know what the rules are where you live, but it does pay to find out what qualifications your local Aviation Medical Assessor has before you go.

<edit> just re-read your post. The examination takes about 45-60 minutes depending on if there are any underlying conditions the examiner wants a closer look at.

BackPacker
8th Aug 2011, 07:32
I agree that the actual tests require somewhere around 45-60 minutes in total. However, I went to a professional Aviation Medical Examiner center where they "process" dozens of pilots each day and have organized things like a factory line. The result of this is that you need to wait some 5-10 minutes between the different subtests and the total visit time may therefore be two to three hours.

Morris542
8th Aug 2011, 09:38
Depends how long it takes you to wee in the cup...

Milton1995
8th Aug 2011, 11:20
Thanks Guys :ok:

Whopity
9th Aug 2011, 07:44
Bear in mind you are paying the doctor for his time. The time taken will therefore be at least twice as long as the same process on the NHS, so that you feel you've got your money's worth. But then again, you will get your appointment on time and not have to sit for hours in the waiting room, all designed to create the impression of an efficient personal service.

gingernut
9th Aug 2011, 19:40
about an hour, 20-25 minutes for the physical, bit less for the investigations, (ecg, urine test), 10 minutes or so for the paperwork. Oh, and about 10-15 minutes prior to the test for the medical questionairre and for the quack to have a cig.

Milton1995
9th Aug 2011, 21:09
Done and dusted in 40mins, depsite the pin prick i wasnt expecting, it was a nice trip out :ok:

xj8driver
9th Aug 2011, 21:31
I'm normally in and out in an hour, including ECG, hearing & eye test, and a general examination. All very painless..

I don't have any medical problems so haven't needed to gather any medical reports, but I DO wear glasses, and I have to get a copy of the prescription to take along with me (it should be a fairly recent one too).

All the info is here: Aviation Medicals - healthcare services for pilots &amp aircrew (http://www.aviationmedicals.co.uk)