PDA

View Full Version : Missing Aircraft Log Book

WorkingHard
7th Aug 2011, 17:51
Hi all
Just posted this in Engineers forum and lots of views but no suggestions as yet. Any helpful advice anyone please?

Sadly we have a lovely SEP for which the Log Book has been destroyed in an unfortunate incident. Aircraft is due for ARC so any advice would be very much appreciated.

many thanks

WH

Pilot DAR
7th Aug 2011, 18:08
Were this to be a Canadian aircraft (Which I suspect it is not) I would contact Transport Canada for the information they hold on file for the aircraft, and with their co-operation rebuild the history of the aircraft. I have done this before for the partial loss of required history for a Twin Otter, and Transport Canada co-operated entirely.

Presuming this is a UK registered aircraft, and hearing all that I do about bureaucracy in aviation in the UK, I've got to believe that the CAA retains most of the data you need to get close. They would probably be delighted to use all that data for some good for a change!

If you're really stuck, I'll have further, more detailed thoughts for you...

IO540
7th Aug 2011, 18:31
What "logbook" is missing?

Normally, on a G, you have the airframe logbook and the engine logbook and, if the prop is VP, a prop logbook.

The only way to reconstruct those will be from individual pilot flying records. The CAA will have only the hours at each Annual on file.

I would start at the maintenance company/ies and then get the pilot logbooks for flight data. The maint company will have the total times for the three items at the last Annual.

AdamFrisch
7th Aug 2011, 19:45
Well, to be fair, one does not need complete logs to be able to get an annual. In lieu of logs, they will have to make an inspection and an assumption based on the facts at hand. Tons of aircraft throughout history have had parts or all their log books destroyed or misplaced - if this would be cause for permanent grounding the majority of the fleet would be gone.