PDA

View Full Version : PPL Skills test

tobster911
6th Aug 2011, 15:26
Hello,
I am currently undergoing PPL training and, at the moment am nowhere near experienced enough to be able to take my Final skills test, however, being 15 i was wondering whether it would be possible to take my Skills test during my 16th year of life but before my 17th birthday, so as to acquire my license on my 17th as that is my dream.
Thank you

The500man
6th Aug 2011, 17:35
LASORS section C has the relevant information.
LASORS: LASORS 2010 | Publications | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=1591)

All it says is you need to be 16 years old to fly solo and 17 for license issue. So I don't see any reason why they would let you fly a qualifying cross country solo but not take the general skills test with an examiner.

I don't remember if there is a time limited period after the skills test in which you have to apply for the license, so check on that, and make sure you don't take the test only for it to expire before your 17th birthday!

Your instructor should know all of this, so it's probably best to ask him/ her.

Whopity
6th Aug 2011, 18:13
Entirely possible, quite a few people have already done it. That's why the solo age was reduced from 17 to 16 about 11 years ago.

Genghis the Engineer
6th Aug 2011, 21:17
Might be worth writing to CAA - it may take until you are 17 to get an answer, they're not all that fast or clear sometimes - but they *may* permit you to do everything then just date licence issue from your 17th birthday?

The other thing to shoot for is a first solo on your 16th. You wouldn't be the first person to do this, but it would certainly make you a member of a very small and exclusive club.

G

Pull what
6th Aug 2011, 21:31
Might be worth writing to CAA - it may take until you are 17 to get an answer,
Thanks a lot pal,I just spat most of my coffee over the computer and nearly choked reading that answer!