PDA

View Full Version : Where to test for English LPE ?

Jan Olieslagers
6th Aug 2011, 08:50
I have the R/T license, but the LPE is still missing from my microlight license, meaning I am entitled to use the radio but can not fly where its use is mandatory. At least that is my understanding.

So yes, it has to be done. I really should like to get the maximum rating, a 6.

What can I do to prepare for the test?

Any recommendations for an examination/test centre? I have been wondering if they'd be less hard in France, seeing their lower tradition of foreign languages than round here; they might be less hard there, to grant me the coveted 6.

Who took the test where, to what result, and at what cost? Preferably Belgium or Northern France.

Whopity
6th Aug 2011, 14:37
If you have a UK Microlight License and a UK FRTOL, the UK CAA will endorse your license LPE, as you get a Level 4 under grandfather rights for the FRTOL. There is no charge for this.

patowalker
6th Aug 2011, 17:10
If you have a Belgian licence, you can choose from these:

Service public fdral Mobilit et Transports - Intranet FR (http://www.mobilit.fgov.be/fr/indexReframed.htm?newURL=%2Ffr%2Fair%2Ftalilist.htm)

and if you have a French licence these:

http://www.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/IMG/pdf/liste_LPO.pdf

sugarcube
6th Aug 2011, 18:16
Jan,
I don't know about France, only Belgium.

Normally you should not prepare anything. The test is about English, not aviation. For example, they show you a picture then you have to talk about it. You have to listen to a conversation, then you have to explain in your own words what you heard. Things like that. Just english, no aviation.

In order to get a 6, at least make sure the examinator is qualified. Not all are, many can only give 4 or 5. Also make sure that they actually give a 6 to people with your level of english. There are large differences. I have a feeling, for some people it may be tempting as a money machine: if they give you a 6, you will not come back.

Getting a 6 is feasible though. It is useful to ask around locally in your club /neighbourhood / other pilot with a 6. I myself did my ELP by joining an exam organised by a neighbouring club were they invited an examinator with a good reputation who was able to give a 6.

I hope this helps.

Jan Olieslagers
6th Aug 2011, 18:42
I had not thought of it, and indeed it seems contrary to the spirit, but from the website of my own Belgian CAA I gather I can only test at a centre recognised by them. Then, later, in the small print, it says "certifications from centres from other European countries can also be accepted. In this case, it is up to the candidate to provide proof the test centre is certified by a European member state".

@Patowalker: thanks for reminding me I should consult my own national authority. Unfortunately these people are very good at hide-and-seek, and their website follows the tradition: it doesn't allow deeplinking.

I did should have opened by saying my microlight license is Belgian. Never thought it would make much difference.

Thanks for all replies, especially those by PM. One PM offers a perfect solution, I think the matter will be settled very soon.

BackPacker
6th Aug 2011, 19:04
I've got the details of a decent examiner in Rotterdam if that helps.

If you have a UK Microlight License and a UK FRTOL, the UK CAA will endorse your license LPE, as you get a Level 4 under grandfather rights for the FRTOL. There is no charge for this.

True but at the very least for a plain PPL/SEP this already happened on April 1st, 2008 (or thereabouts) and thus all "grandfathered" LPE 4s expired on April 1st, 2011. You needed to have done a proper LPE assessment somehow, before that date.

In order to get a 6, at least make sure the examinator is qualified. Not all are, many can only give 4 or 5.

Somehow I can't believe this. But you might be confused with something else.

There is a transition period for holders of a UK-issued license where a JAA flight examiner can validate that you are a six, IF the flight examiner has been certified to be a six himself. This is something that's done by the CAA to simplify the LPE introduction in the UK, where most of the examiners, and most of the candidates, are expected to be fluent in English.

The examiner can only validate you're a six, and not make a distinction between levels one through five, as they are not deemed to be proficient enough to distinguish between those levels. But they are deemed to be proficient in identifying someone who is fluent.

Whopity
6th Aug 2011, 21:31
True but at the very least for a plain PPL/SEP this already happened on April 1st, 2008 (or thereabouts) and thus all "grandfathered" LPE 4s expired on April 1st, 2011.It did not occur for those with old 5 figure licence numbers that were not on the computer! An interesting concept that a grandfather right has an expiry date! I understand your logic but such a fact has never been published anywhere. Why would someone who passed a test maybe 15 years ago still be proficient in English 15 years later but not 18 years later?

BackPacker
6th Aug 2011, 23:10
Well, I've got a letter from the CAA PLD right here in my files. Unfortunately it's not dated but it must've been sent late 2007, early 2008, and it details the changes to ICAO Annex I from March 2003, which brought about the LPE requirements.

It also details the steps PLD would take to implement these changes, including the endorsement of all licenses that include an FRTOL, with the "grandfathered" level 4. Furthermore, it expresses the intention to use upcoming flight tests (including the LPC) as a way to obtain a level 6. And it clearly expresses the requirements that within the normal three year expiration period of a level 4, everybody would have to be tested, either by a level 6 examiner, or through a formal language proficiency exam.

Literally the letter says:

Clearly the majority of holders of UK issued pilot licences will be proficient at level 6. [...] The CAA intends to utilise the subsequent flight test, such as a License Proficiency Check (LPC) as the means for licence holders to be assessed at language proficiency 6, within the period of validity (3 years) of their initial language proficiency level 4 endorsement - 5 march 2008.

Now I'll be honest and admit I've got a six-digit license number. So I can't say for sure that people with five-digit numbers did or did not get the same letter. But from the format it looks like it's been sent to everyone in the CAA files.

Whopity
7th Aug 2011, 08:11
But from the format it looks like it's been sent to everyone in the CAA files. Yes, but as many as 70,000 older licences never made it to the computerised database. Most are defunct, but some still keep popping up. One of the disadvantages of "lifetime" licences. A grandfather right is by definition the right to continue exercising a previously held privilege! Probably not an appropriate term here and the whole thing was just a political gesture to demonstrate compliance. Nobody will be bothered until EASA licences have to show a Validity date.

BackPacker
7th Aug 2011, 09:55
I agree that it's bad form of the CAA to issue licenses and then promptly forget about them, so that their owners cannot be traced, or warned about important upcoming changes in legislation. Nevertheless, ignorance of (changes in) legislation is not a valid defence. So the whole LPE thing does apply to you whether you got the letter or not.

And as far as the word "grandfather rights" is concerned, well that's what's literally in the letter. If you object to the words "grandfather rights" to be used in an expiring context (in this case the LPE level four issued to all holders of an FRTOL) you would have to talk to the CAA about it.