PDA

View Full Version : From Class 2 to Class 1 Medical.

Milton1995
5th Aug 2011, 18:45
Just wanted to know if there was any concession(price & procedure) in the class 1 if i had the class 2 already. It will be probably be in around 2 years, and have my class two on tuesday.

Thanks,
M1995.

stevelup
5th Aug 2011, 19:06
This is the CAA you're talking about - I think you already know the answer!

FlyingGoat
5th Aug 2011, 19:28
I had a Class 2 recently, and towards the end the Doc said he could upgrade to a Class 1 if I had a 2 min. blood test and paid an extra 20 quid. But that would probably depend on your age and where you were regarding your other annual or bi-annual checks.

stevelup
5th Aug 2011, 20:03
That's nonsense - you need to go to the CAA in Gatwick for your initial Class 1!

MIKECR
5th Aug 2011, 20:06
The initial must be done at Gatwick. Theres no concession in terms of the examination itself or the fee.

Milton1995
5th Aug 2011, 20:38
Thanks for the replies! Oh well, worth a try i guess. Anyone know the cost for the initial class 1? Also, does the AME have access to my medical records?

MIKECR
5th Aug 2011, 20:54
The examination fees are all published in the scheme of charges on the CAA website. It will cost you several hundred quid.

No, they will not have access to your medical records. You will however sign a disclaimer allowing them access should they require it.

FlyingGoat
5th Aug 2011, 21:11
That's nonsense - you need to go to the CAA in Gatwick for your initial Class 1!

Did I mention it was an initial Class 1?

Also, the Doc I went to appeared to have full online access to my medical records.

The500man
5th Aug 2011, 21:20
If you need a Class 1 at any point, get it done now. After the initial period for the Class 1 (12 months if you are under 40) it will revert to a Class 2 for the remaining 4 years. At least you will know you can get it, and you can get a Class 1 renewal done when you need it.

S-Works
5th Aug 2011, 21:52
Initial Class one can only be done at Gatwick in the UK.

IO540
6th Aug 2011, 09:04
On the initial Class 1, the CAA asks you to sign a form allowing them to get your medical records, and they actually get them and go through them.

On the initial Class 2, 11 years ago, they didn't do that.

They also didn't use to do it on the Class 1 years ago, but there were some well publicised cases of airline pilots concealing stuff and presumably made them more diligent.

the Doc I went to appeared to have full online access to my medical records.

That would really suprise me. You sure he wasn't looking at the CAA record they have on you?

FlyingGoat
6th Aug 2011, 09:10
You're right, of course - badly worded.