PDA

View Full Version : GPS app for iphone

monkeyscribbler
5th Aug 2011, 12:56
Anyone know of an app to turn your iPhone into an aviation gps?

doesnt have to be fancy - can just be an airspace infringement aid/moving map job.

FleetFlyer
5th Aug 2011, 13:10
A lot of other ppruners will be along shortly to tell you to use the search function of both this forum and google.

Anyhow, Memory Map works for me, particularly when using the Iphone4 as it has real GPS. The Iphone3 has psuedo gps which triangulates your position from mobile phone towers and is not as accurate and beyond 3000' is very patchy recption wise.

Cusco
5th Aug 2011, 15:47
My iPhone 3 has a proper GPS.............

monkeyscribbler
5th Aug 2011, 16:10
I have an iphone 3GS which, Im told, has "real"gps.

thanks for the memory map tip. Ive seen a lot of chat about one called Airnav pro which seems to be getting good reviews.

Ultra long hauler
5th Aug 2011, 16:38
Anyone know of an app to turn your iPhone into an aviation gps?

doesnt have to be fancy - can just be an airspace infringement aid/moving map job.

Motion X, available in the on-line Apple store.
Works great………and is not too expensive!

Whenever I pass by an unknown airfield……….Motion X is the name of the game to then transfer it to the GPS in my plane.

Cheers,

###Ultra Long Hauler###

IO540
5th Aug 2011, 18:14
I don't have recent Iphone4 GPS airborne test results but I can tell you that the Ipad2 GPS is truly crap.

Today I flew along the south of England and after it initially got a fix (within a minute or two) it later lost it, in a subtle and non-obvious manner.

I have never seen a GPS do that before. This is really useless.

I have a bluetooth GPS which is connected to a proper rooftop antenna, but the Ipad2 does not recognise it at all - not even as a bluetooth device.

dublinpilot
5th Aug 2011, 18:34
Airspace Avoid (http://www.airspaceavoid.com) is a tool to help you avoid infringing controlled airspace.

All European airspaces are included, and it is professionally maintained by the PocketFMS foundation.

Costs €12.99.

dp

dan_vector
5th Aug 2011, 20:36
I've tried most of the iPhone apps for gps aviation and by far the best is Air Navigation Pro.

monkeyscribbler
7th Aug 2011, 15:33
went for Airnav pro in the end.

works great, handy little app and cheaper than any other dedicated GPS option.

anyone know how to make it show your path so far in flight? I have the predicted track line on, but nothing to show where you've just been.