PDA

View Full Version : TA and the airlines

QNH
12th Nov 2000, 06:36
I would be interested in talking to any current or ex members of the TA who are FLYING at the moment. I'm off on the 6 month ground school then abroad for hour building and have had to "resign" my position. I love the TA, and have spoken to the CO about this. They have agreed to my release and to be reinstated within the next 2 years if I can accept the commitment thereafter. The release is purely for the job I want to do, as this may be a transferable skill.

How do work commitments affect this and is it frowned upon to be in the TA? Will my future (UK based) company resist or adapt? I'd need every other weekend free plus one evening a week guaranteed for approx 10 months, and then leave at a moments notice to go to war if needed.

A friend of mine is in the same position and to quote him: decision making, initiative, management, communication, team work...... pilot qualities?

Email me privately if preferred

PS don't bother with the patronising "well what do want to do?" s*!t and make out flying is the be all and end all. There are sometimes higher callings and other means to an end. This is serving my country. I believe I should be able to do both at the highest level.

CloudWarrior
14th Nov 2000, 01:09
QNH, I,m not in the TA nor ever have been, buy I don't think it matters, your requirements are unlikely to fit in with the flexibility required by any airline, especially as a very junior F/O

Flintstone
17th Nov 2000, 01:41
Despite what they tell you in the TA they do not let you do 'the minimum' and always expect you to attend more nights, weekends, camps and courses.

I left when I was offered a commission but it was made clear to me that I would be expected to give up all of my free time.

Shame really, it was good fun.

Pilot Pete
17th Nov 2000, 04:01
I did ten years TA, 2.5 whilst self sponsored training for CPL/IR. Absolutely excellent, geared my training around TA commitments (flew Mon-Fri, did hour building in the US in 1 month, took a 'Leave of Absence' for the writtens and all in all the income (some £300 per month) kept my head just above water.

As for when in an airline.....forget it. Not compatable. Duty Hours limitations, flexible working hours etc etc, add that to going away for a w/e with the TA and having only 6hrs sleep, would you want to be a pax with someone like that up front? No, neither would any Chief Pilot!

Get the most out of it while you can.

Ex Oggie
18th Nov 2000, 23:53
Technically, working as a commercial or airline pilot is a Reserved Occupation, and not permitted for a Reservist. There are exceptions made on individual circumstances with the agreement of both TAVRA and your employer.

Cheers.....