PDA

View Full Version : Captains who have never been co-pilots.

Sand Spider
12th Nov 2000, 05:42
Obviously, there are all sorts of people flying today. Some of us are good; some of us are bad; some of us think we are good; and some of us are better than we think. Nothing new or profound in that statement, just a fact. To fly with different characters is part of the enjoyment of this marvelous profession, indeed sometimes its saving grace!

I was interested to know what experiences people have had with captains who've never been F/O's. We have a few in our company and in the main their airmanship is very good because they've been doing things like bush flying, CAP509 instructing and night freight in all sorts of wx. Experience I wish I had the benefit of. However, in some cases their CRM stinks as they still think they are in a single crew operation.

Could it be that they have missed out on half of their Airline training by not having been co-pilots? I think so, what do you think?

------------------
Common sense is the least common of all the senses.

SID the STAR
12th Nov 2000, 11:17
i dont know what airline you are flying for,but in the real world we sit in the right hand seat first.

you say these people did bush flying,cap509,night freight,etc,etc...i presume all this on single crew ops?

obviously this is no airline!

Flameout_No1
12th Nov 2000, 12:26
Someone once said to me,"There's only one thing worse than a Captain thats never been a co-pilot, and that's a co-pilot that's never been a captain."

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

------------------
Play it again Sam, I said play it !

Captain Mainwaring
12th Nov 2000, 15:05
There is a Captain in our outfit who spent most of his life as an F/O and is now Captain with one year left to pension.
He is without a doubt a pain in the arse to fly with.Some examples:
-Has been known to hit new (and small) F/O's over the bonce with their own clipboard and then chucking it over his head down the cabin,PLOG and all - the crime? writing clearances or frequencies down below 5000'
-Blabbing on about the need to pay attention in the climb because of SID requirements -this he was doing whilst turning right although the SID required a Left turn !
He is a star ! - but he certainly sharpens-up
your own awareness.
Watch out for Captains who spent too long in the right seat !!

Sand Spider
14th Nov 2000, 01:44
Sid: CityFlyer Express!

" ...i presume all this on single crew ops?" My point exactly!

Capt Mainwairing: it takes all sorts!

------------------
Common sense is the least common of all the senses.

pesket
14th Nov 2000, 02:08
nothing worse than a captain who forgot he once was a F/O.

BIK_116.80
16th Nov 2000, 18:23
Flameout_No1, someone once suggested to me that the only thing worse than a captain who has never been a co-pilot is a co-pilot who USED TO BE a captain.