PDA

View Full Version : Maximum bank angle at ground level??

Bear Cub
6th Apr 2001, 06:57
Was recently reading an article on Wake Vortex - called "Horizontal Tornadoes".

In the opening couple of paragraphs, a 727 Captain was recalling an approach in which he suddenly got zapped by wake vortex from the (lighter) Airbus ahead.

He commented "It only takes 12 degrees of wing dip to strike an outboard flap during a normal landing in the 727".

Struck me as quite a good point for student pilots to ponder and made me wonder what other aircraft can/can't handle - anybody got any figures?

(Cessna 172 pilots need not reply [grin]).

esreverlluf
6th Apr 2001, 09:31
Depends on type and engine configuration for those with underwing, pod mounted noise generators, most (if not all) will strike a pod before wingtip or flaps.

Pitch attitude will also play a part in determining the bank angle at which contact with the ground will occur.

Hope that helps.

Bear Cub
6th Apr 2001, 19:51
I did wonder about that - I saw a 757 scrape a pod at Manchester some years ago.

quid
6th Apr 2001, 19:56
10-12 degrees for most, but the DC-8 with the high bypass engines will get a pod at around 8 degrees.

411A
7th Apr 2001, 02:41
According to Lockheed figures,on the L10 the wing tip will scrape before an engine. This is for the standard body acft, not sure about the -500.

EDDNR
7th Apr 2001, 05:29
747-400: Less than 6 degrees and there'll be some sparks from the outboard engine cowling!

Rod