PDA

View Full Version : Are you a prop head?

Pace
3rd Aug 2011, 12:25
I often wonder what other interests if any pilots have? Are You a complete Prop Head who sleeps and breathes aviation or do you have other consuming interests.
I know with myself I love Scuba Diving and especially underwater Photography.
This passion takes me to exotic areas of the world where I can film large fish.
I also like skiing and having come into flying from car racing in my 20s still have a passion for anything fast.
What do others here have a passion for other than flying nothing rude please:E

Pace

john ball
3rd Aug 2011, 13:45
Yes, my other interests are watching classic car racing -- Goodwood Revival is the best. But also own a classic car - 1954 Healey 100 - cheap to run, tax and insure. Much cheaper to own and run than my RV6. But both are fun and my girlfriend loves them both, so that works for me.
I must be a petrol head as I hate anything to do with a leather ball http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/censored.gif

treadigraph
3rd Aug 2011, 13:57
Although I haven't earned any wings yet, flying and aviation have been an almost all-consuming passion since I first flew in an Auster at five years old and I have shown no signs of growing out of it over the 40 odd years that have passed since... Old aeroplanes with props for preference.

I have a passing interest in old cars, but don't know much about them...

I also enjoy walking and cycling, plus drinking and yakking.

John, as a near neighbour in Purley, I must have seen you out and about in the Healey!

benppl
3rd Aug 2011, 13:58
I race a ex clio cup racer, take recreational drugs and gamble alot!

Pilot DAR
3rd Aug 2011, 14:11
I have lived and beathed airplanes and helicopters since I was a kid. Now, though I still enjoy recreational flying, and mentoring in the aviation community, airplanes are otherwise my work. Really fun work though!

To contribute to my community, and by way of a diversion from planes, I've been a volunteer firefighter for 20 years, including a lot of fabrication and maintenance of specialized resuce equipment. I use the plane for searches and fire spotting a lot though, so it comes back around to flying.

After the time spent being a husband, father of four, and taking care of the property and runway, my brief hobby time is spent collecting and restoring antique Dinky, Corgi and Matchbox toys.

thing
3rd Aug 2011, 14:15
I'm a muso by profession so I suppose that is an 'interest'. I also play golf, do astrophotography and fish. Oh I'm a long term philatelist as well, pre decimal UK if you must know.

I'm also a complete propellor head.

FleetFlyer
3rd Aug 2011, 16:35
During a break from flying in my twenties, I learned to drive and gradually became sucked in until I could drift a car at a good angle all the way around any given roundabout. I then started racing single seaters and did that until I realised it was costing me so much more than flying and the nature of the cars meant that it was only a matter of time until a big accident would cripple or kill me. That got me flying again a couple of years ago.

I'm not a speed freak though, I'm a control freak. And I can still drift with the best of them.

Tinstaafl
3rd Aug 2011, 16:48
Inline speed skating for me. Only started on inlines about 2-3 years ago and was getting coached just for the fun of it. Now I'm part of a team here in Orlando. Our coach is a recently retired-from-competition multiple time world champion** and now I'm considering competing in my age category next year.

**Jorge Botero, one of the big names in inline speed skating. He's away coaching the Belgium national team at the European competition at the moment.

Genghis the Engineer
3rd Aug 2011, 17:12
When not obsessing about aviation either for work or fun, I'm a keen martial artist with a 3rd Dan black belt in Jiu Jitsu and often travel around the UK and occasionally abroad to train or teach. Occasionally I fly myself there. When I'm working abroad I quite often take a gi and grab an opportunity to train in a local dojo.

I first had a flying lesson at 19, but first walked into a dojo at 18.

The first book I published was on flying, the second will probably be on Jiu Jitsu.

G

'India-Mike
3rd Aug 2011, 17:17
My life is utterly consumed by all things aeronautic; theory to practice. I don't mind. Sorry to be such a bore:O

Monocock
3rd Aug 2011, 18:15
100% self-confessed prop head.

WILCO.XMG
3rd Aug 2011, 19:56
Football for me. Love it. Mostly watching as my playing isnt tip top but i enjoy it when i get the chance.

Enjoy Golf, Fishing, Cars and Aeroplanes. Getting more and more interested in Helicopters and Motorbikes as i go on.

Oh i also enjoy research for my thesis :8

Hanging around bars sniffing out females with father issues is also a hobby i have mastered over the years.

PompeyPaul
3rd Aug 2011, 20:09
Football, love it. Fratton End season ticket holder, hardcore fan.

Drinking (heavily).

IO540
3rd Aug 2011, 20:13
I am afraid that flying, but particularly flying together with ownership of a reasonably sophisticated aircraft, doing a lot of web writing, and collecting a lot of bits of paper, has become a very time consuming activity...

Apart from that, electronics (analog and digital) has always been my hobby and remains so.

Lots of walking up on the Downs, swimming, wndsurfing, mountain biking. All after looking after my girlfriend of course :)

Pace
3rd Aug 2011, 20:53

Lots of walking up on the Downs, swimming, wndsurfing, mountain biking. All after looking after my girlfriend of course

Looking forward to you joining me and the gang in London for that drink :E
Heard that you are into the gadgets big time ;)

She must be a special girlfriend if the rest come second ! Pleased for you.

Pace;)

VMC-on-top
4th Aug 2011, 10:28
Anything fast. Driving, skiing, just bought motorbike (mid life crisis), looking at buying a Dodge Charger ('69 of course!) mountain biking, golf (very badly) used to play squash and badminton until both ankles gave way.

wsmempson
4th Aug 2011, 11:55
I came into flying after 10 years of racing elderly, overpowered, under-braked, evil-handling sports cars with the HSCC (TR's, TVR, Lotus Elan etc).

I Still have a 1993 Virage Volante (which doesn't get used enough) and enjoy a bit of skiing but, what with the day job, flying the Saratoga and spending time with the family, there isn't much time left over for other pursuits.....:E

OpenCirrus619
4th Aug 2011, 12:23
I used to sail quite a lot (RYA Yachtmaster) before I started flying. Most years I rent something around 45' LOA for a couple of weeks in the Caribbean.

A couple of years ago we had a tech issue with the yacht, which left us with some spare time - so gave something else I'd always wanted to try a go: Scuba. Would like to do more - but so far just done the bare minimum to get to PADI Advanced Open Water.

Also, after many years break, like a quick thrash on the motorbike.

OC619

Ds3
4th Aug 2011, 12:47
I don't know yet! I've always had an interest in planes and helicopters but I've only just found myself in a position to do anything about it, so I'll tell you in a few months if I'm really a prop head or not!

Aside from that, always had an interest in fast cars and dabbled a bit in go-karting, but I'm board of the restrictions of the tarmac and potential for accidents. Like FleetFlyer, I'm a control freak as opposed a speed freak though.

I like watching all sorts of sports - motor racing of various guises, football, cricket, rugby etc, but don't participate. Used to play a lot of badminton but have recently converted to tennis which is the exercise I use to justify consumption of beer, which is my other main hobby!

AfricanEagle
4th Aug 2011, 13:52
Just flying and aeroplanes :)

cumulusrider
4th Aug 2011, 14:22
I fly cross country gliders. Used to be into Rallying, advanced motorcycle instructor and sailing. Took my PPL in a c152 but gave it up after a couple of years as I found it boring

B2N2
4th Aug 2011, 14:58
Airplanes first, cars second.
Almost ready to start building a 6.7l engine for my '79 C3 Corvette.
Originally a 350Cui (5.7) overbored and stroked to a 383 (6.7L)
Dart Pro 1 aluminum heads, solid roller cam, roller lifters and roller rockers.
Probably timing gears, not sure yet.
Simultaneously trying to get everything together for a swap from 3-speed automatic to manual 5 speed....:E

If everything is done HP should be 400+ :E and should be able to do this no problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaHIMwqZYFc&feature=player_embedded
:ok:

It's still my daily driver by the way.
I also recently found religion in the gym so I'm making my body into a temple 3-5 times week.

stiknruda
5th Aug 2011, 10:27
Aeroplanes first. I've built them, repaired them and competed in aerobatics.

Nowadays formation aeros:

Aerobatic Display Team | Wildcat Aerobatics (http://www.wildcataerobatics.com)

outgrown cars - have had most modern TVRs and restored a '76 3000M.

Cattle - I raise rare breed beef cattle for the freezer and sell some to friends and family. I've shot most of my adult life and still enjoy a few days of driven game every season. Did I mention aeroplanes?

Stik

Dave Gittins
5th Aug 2011, 12:08
Was solo in a flying machine before I was allowed in a car in a Cadet Mk III at Burtonwood in 1969 and have had a lengthy (but low houred) relationship with aviation since. I mostly fly on vacations now (work at an airport takes up too much of my time) am planning to fly in Colorado (don't tell me about leaning when the threshold elevation is 6,800 ft) and California in September. Last flew in a Pipersport at Kissimmee at Christmas and had the rare experience of flying PA-28s in Qatar when I was posted there. VFR over the desert meant I had to learn RNAV.

I LOVE Goodwood Revival and always try to watch F1 GPs. I had a brief dalliance with golf in Doha where the floodlit 9 hole let us play after work but haven't had the time to play in the UK where 18holes would use 25% of a weekend. Play about 3 times a year now. I enjoy snorkling on the occasions when I get somewhere warm enough but have never found time to do a PADI course.

Live in a 16th century cottage so my quality of carpentry is acceptable and having just had an oak barn built in the garden, have lots nmore carpentry to do. If I had more time, I'd fly more, golf more, go to concerts more and would rather fancy a nice motor yacht to meander along the South coast.

DGG

blueandwhite
5th Aug 2011, 12:51
i'm probably a bit of a petrol head, Motorbike (1000cc fazerhttp://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/TomWW/fazerlogo2-copy.gif), Cars (volvo:O and M5 :E) and RV6:ok:

But also a bit green in that I'm a keen nature photographer.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b161/TomWW/IMG_1581.jpg

For work I have been a consultant designer most of my life mainly working on aircraft and then mainly milatary stuff (Eurofighter, Merlin, Tornado, Grippen and JSF) Working with the 3D programs is like playing a video game :\:\, and working with the managment is like playing with children :ugh:

Now I work in Care Homes, :ugh::ugh: working with mainly wimin :ugh::ugh:

edited to add fazer logo and ignor speeling