PDA

View Full Version : Can I be an AT controller?

Gambit76116
2nd Aug 2011, 19:44
Hi There guys,

I'm a senior flight Dispatcher for a good company in UAE. Been working here for 5 years. I have a FAA PPL/IR with about 280 Hours, 30+ MEL, A GCAA current Flight Dispatch licence. I will be 31 come December 2011.

I've gotten weary of this job and would love to change to ATC.

But I don't know where to Start.

Looking for Job satisfaction and room for future growth, And I don't mind to travelling and working anywhere in the world.

I would really appreciate some good advise

Thanks in advance

Crazy Voyager
2nd Aug 2011, 20:11
Find an ANSP that is reqruiting and apply. In Europe the major ones that don't require any language except english are Eurocontrol and NATS.

Depends a bit on your nationality etc where you can apply though. But check out various ANSP, perhaps have a look at the one (or ones) down in the UAE aswell? I have no clue who's responsible down there though but AFAIK there are a lot of expats working there so they shouldn't require anything but english language skills. This is speculation on my part though.

But put in an application, if not else to get a chance to do the tests and see if you have the aptitude.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
2nd Aug 2011, 20:20
Make up your mind ASAP because you are approaching the age when starting ATC could be quite difficult. Good luck.

Shrimps
2nd Aug 2011, 22:03
You are unfortunately above the age limit for Eurocontrol, who currently insist on applicants being no older than 24 on 1st October of this year. Unfortunately this is a strict requirement; I was rejected as I am 25 on 1st October:{

pol1whiskey
4th Aug 2011, 11:51
HEATHROW DIRECTOR:

"Make up your mind ASAP because you are approaching the age when starting ATC could be quite difficult. Good luck."

Please would you expand on this. I am 31, looking for a complete career change to an ATCO in the near future. I have an assessment day booked to confirm aptitude at ASTAC shortly.
Do you think my age will be a constricting factor in gaining future employment? Realistically, have I left this too late? I’m not looking for sponsorship, all funding is in place to cover the courses required.
(My only ATC experience is that associated with a JAR PPL with Night Qualification).
Pol1

no slots
5th Aug 2011, 11:31
Don't worry about the age thing. I was 42 when I did my tower course and have gone on to approach, radar, ojti and uce. Any experience will help but you will have to a) Really want to be an ATCO. and b) Be prepared to work VERY hard. With the correct attitude you should be ok. Good luck!

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Aug 2011, 14:59
All I'm saying is that the older you get, the more difficult it is to do ATC. Obviously that does not apply to everyone but ot is based on 35 odd years as an ATCO during which I trained many people. If you want to do it and can find employment, go for it. Just accept the cautionary word..

pol1whiskey
6th Aug 2011, 17:07
HD: understood.
No slots: thanks for the encouragement, where did you complete your initial training incidentally?
Good luck to gambit also!

no slots
8th Aug 2011, 14:08
I did my tower course at NATS Bournemouth. I had to work very hard as I was by far the oldest. Nearly everyone else was ex Uni 21 year olds. We did party hard too and I had an excellent time. All my other training was at ASTAC. All the instruction I received was excellent. I agree with HD that is harder the older you are but as you can see it is doable. Good luck. :ok: