PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody ever left a Major?

Affangu
7th Nov 2000, 17:52
Voluntarily, that is. Is it even worth joining after 30, seeing as a career in the right seat is inevitable?

Should everyone be striving to join a major for the 'benefits'?

I know lots of guys who can't (or won't) afford to take a pay cut and sit in the right seat (God forbid)!! But will they regret it when they can't afford to retire @ 50 'cos their low fares airline pension is bobbins? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

N2000
7th Nov 2000, 18:52
Yep

I left a major, to go to a more major major.

The grass is greener, and kept much neater!

[This message has been edited by N2000 (edited 07 November 2000).]

AlbertRoss
8th Nov 2000, 02:13
Yes. Was a B737 F/O, and left for the promise of an early command with a new-start. Got the command in 5 months (my contempories at the major are still in the same seat) and haven't looked back. Most thought I was crazy at the time, but as Edith Piaf said, in a far more sexy voice and far more sexy language than mine, I have no regrets....

faq
8th Nov 2000, 06:41
I'm going to leave a command in a crummy jet charter outfit - after 9 years - for a regional turboprop command near where I live. 25 to 30k UK sterling pay reduction

Harry Wragg
8th Nov 2000, 19:17
Having seen been on both sides of the fence I can definitely say that the grass isn't "greener" on the other side, just a different shade. Suggest you always leave your options open. Besides in this dynamic world of ours the greenest field may quickly turn brown.

faq
8th Nov 2000, 23:02
So might the one your standing in

fly to serve
9th Nov 2000, 17:24
faq, nice bit of career planning nine years ago

dingducky
10th Nov 2000, 04:31
heard of a guy leaving UAL to be a nigel!

------------------
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

freddy
10th Nov 2000, 12:48
Yup - I left THE major with a command, aged 35, to ultimately join a regional (after a gap year). Now I don't have to spend 25 percent of my LIFE in hotels and airport terminals waiting for commuting flights, and home has become somewhere more than where you do the washing every seven days. I lost about 20+ grand a year - but what price life? You only have one. No regrets.

Binary
10th Nov 2000, 13:20
Left a major for a career change. Less money by about £20k (at the moment) but I get to run my own life and can influence things and make a difference. Having said that I enjoyed airline flying but there were other things to do.

wonderbusdriver
10th Nov 2000, 15:32
Interesting attitude.

My major has a part-time scheme.
Not all get the times they want, but even a lot of the younger single FOs take it.
The laws here also give a right (!) to part-time work if you have young kids.

Like the two guys above, you make less cash, but get much more out of life, without having to take a gamble.

Possibilty of part-timing is a major incentive to stay with a company - quite a few would have left here otherwise.