PDA

View Full Version : Usual age of successful applicants?

Inglis
1st Aug 2011, 10:51
Hi All
I have a son who is 17 doing an A level equivalent computing course at a local college. I was just wondering when is a good age to start applying for NATS courses? I suspect that most successful applicants are older so maybe he should get some other experence first before applying. Last year he top scored at Biggin Hill at the NATS trailer & we visted Bournemouth College before it moved.
Is there anyone out there at Swanwick who could show us round we are just in Guildford so its an easy run down. :)
Inglis

Gonzo
1st Aug 2011, 17:21
Inglis,

I applied when I was still doing my A-Levels, and started with NATS eight months after leaving it. My only job before ATC was a paper round.

I say get him to go for it.

Inglis
1st Aug 2011, 21:00
Thanks guys that is encouraging :O

ZOOKER
1st Aug 2011, 21:39
I started my 'cadet course' when I was 23, having completed 'A' levels, 2 years as a 'non-state' assistant, and 3 years at university.
I qualified at my unit at 26, and returned to CATC to do area procedural and radar just after my 30th birthday. I recently did a formal unit 'assessment' 2 weeks after my 55th birthday.
On none of these courses was I the oldest, (or youngest), candidate.
If you want to do the job, and are prepared to accept that, in ATC, you will never stop learning, go for it!