PDA

View Full Version : Baggage allowance

ATIS
24th Nov 2001, 17:22
Just dropped the wife at the airport for a flight to Delhi. Check in agent was very strict on the amount of baggage to be checked in.

Wife then asks me why flights to USA have an allowance of 30-40kgs in economy however flights to India and elswhere have 20kgs.

I thought it was because of fuel. But there are flights to US Westcoast of similar duration. Can someone figure this out. Cheers

RickPhucked
24th Nov 2001, 20:09
I know that in some areas of the world, such as Johansburg airport, being hot and high the effects on jet engines is considerable causes less load to be carried, not sure whether india comes into this, but it could be a point.

ragspanner
24th Nov 2001, 21:53
Probably something to do with maximizing profit by carrying more belly freight !

ohitsmonday
25th Nov 2001, 15:38
Probably just different airlines, different rules or class of ticket.
Excess baggage charges are many times equivalent cargo rates.

John Farley
25th Nov 2001, 15:48
My recollection is that once jumbos became common place a US airline operating across the pond decided to increase above 20kgs as a marketing ploy since US passengers very often have a lot of kit this went down well. Others had to follow, so it became SOP.

ft
26th Nov 2001, 19:12
A cave-in to the fact that pax on flights to and from the US and the arab countries always seemed to have twice the luggage of pax on other flights? :D

If you want to know the travel habits of other people - ask the handlers! ;)

Cheers,
/ft