PDA

View Full Version : Bump

Rollingthunder
31st Jul 2011, 07:28
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/07/30/article-2020669-0D3C219800000578-702_468x361.jpg

It was anxiety at the airport Friday night as two planes collided into each other on the tarmac at Chicago's O'Hare Airport.

A fire official told the Chicago Tribune that the two Delta planes were backing away from gates when they clipped wings.

Delta spokeswoman Chris Kelly Singley confirmed that two planes had 'made contact' as they were getting set for take-off

Spunky Monkey
31st Jul 2011, 08:53
That will polish out...

contractor25
31st Jul 2011, 11:39
few frames and skin replacement.....it could be deathsentence for the MD

Avionker
2nd Aug 2011, 11:49
it could be deathsentence for the MD

One can only hope.....

Crazy Voyager
2nd Aug 2011, 12:30
Is this the third time now? First at JFK, then BOS and now these guys at ORD:

What's wrong? Didn't anyone learn the first time around?

Noah Zark.
2nd Aug 2011, 14:36
As a non-aviation industry individual, can I ask someone in the trade - Is there any kind of control of aircraft movements being carried out by ground handlers, i.e. are the tug drivers/handlers subject to radio clearances from whoever before shunting an aircraft out from the gate?

BOAC
2nd Aug 2011, 16:06
Varies - sometimes relayed from pilots, sometimes direct from ATC to tug.

Noah Zark.
2nd Aug 2011, 19:46
Thanks for that, BOAC. That being the case, and in no way being critical of anyone, it appears to favour a spot of confusion, as it is often very difficult to see directly behind an aircraft wanting to move from the gate.

BOAC
2nd Aug 2011, 20:13
Is is the tug drivers job to avoid collisions. They can see where they are pushing the a/c. If clearance for tugging is relayed from the flight deck, then any 'cautions' such as 'xxx pushing also from Stand 6' will be passed down as well, but the tuggie MUST make sure the area is clear.

Noah Zark.
2nd Aug 2011, 23:34
Thanks for explaining that for me, BOAC. I guess some unfortunate somewhere will be wishing he (she) could rewind the clock just five minutes or so!

BOAC
3rd Aug 2011, 07:54
Indeed. It is not clear how it happened, of course, whether the MD was backed onto the wing-tip, whether t'other was 'swung' into the tail or even if the near a/c was taxying off with a turn as the other was pushed. Someone knows (and someone 'pays')! Judging by the quote, "Delta spokeswoman Chris Kelly Singley" is not one of those:)

Some push-backs use 'wing walkers' who check tip clearance (but not 'tail walkers').