PDA

View Full Version : Whos in control ?

passepartout
9th Nov 2000, 08:10
Had a situation ,the other day, (wont go into details).It required those in control to perhaps take descions that were outside SOP,s.
It became noticeable that the older aircraft 732,s ba11's, were able to anticipate and take non standard instructions more readily than those aircraft types with a glass front.
Whilst I agree that standardised flying leads to a safer environment. Has the Captains influence been taken away to such an extent that now the aircraft decides what is safe?

wooof
9th Nov 2000, 10:54
Without more details it's difficult to comment on this specific occurence.
However in general I've found that the newer generation of pilots, particuly those who've only flown the newer generation of aircraft tend to do everything by the book (SOP's). They also tend to have less experience dealing with "non normal" situations because they tend to have only flown well maintained machines.
The older generation of pilots, or those flying the older aircraft types have far more experience dealing with "non normals" and occationaly problems occur (shaged aircraft = multiple failures) that may not always be covered by a manufacturers cx list in entirety. Hence their ability to operate outside of SOP's / cx lists (within reason)when the occation arises and tend to be able to prioritise problems a little bit easier.
Without doubt there is also a big difference between operating the old / new generation of aircraft (more monitoring systems etc) and consequently I feel to a certain extent our jobs have changed forever. But the bottom line is that the Captain decides whether an SOP is followed to the letter.
The pro's and cons's of sticking ridgidly to SOP,s at all costs is for others to argue about but I know where I stand having taken all factors into account (weather, maintenence status....etc).
Hope this helps a little and is no way meant to become an old dog / new dog arguement.