PDA

View Full Version : Japan Job Outlook

pilotcpb
26th Jul 2011, 18:24
I been reading posts on here for years about Japan and i want some fresh info. Im probably going to get married to a girl from Japan so I will have residence visa. I can speak japanese (JLPT4). I kind of fall through the cracks for AJX (no pic jet TR yet) and ANA wings (i got pic turboprop TR but its been 5 yrs). I am aware of Peach and this ANA/Air Asia carrier in the works; I'm also aware that throngs of JAL guys are unemployed.

Living/working in Japan is MY idea as she is ok living anywhere. I just really dig Japan and want to live there if possible. Im looking at other jobs in Asia too, and even working for a heavy cargo outfit in the US that would let me commute from NRT/HND. Anyone else in my situation? WWYD??

Mat Finish
26th Jul 2011, 21:57
Hi Pilotcpb

Check your PM's

ishi59
26th Jul 2011, 23:03
Avoid Air Japan, the situation's out of control there with the recent merger of freighter operations.

Pretty crazy duties, it's all going downhill.

afhelipilot
29th Jul 2011, 19:00
been reading posts on here for years about Japan and i want some fresh info. Im probably going to get married to a girl from Japan so I will have residence visa.

Really? Unbelievable? I can ask my friends around, but I really do not know much of the contractors and their system of employment and I do not get it. I fly helicopters occasionally maybe I am lazy but my cousin is a good capt.As for the residence visa, actually if you are applying from abroad it really does not matter since you will always be hired as a foreigner in this case and shall be at the different wages system, which causes a wave of the unknown complains. Is not because Japan or Asia is bad or because you are a foreigner is because one never went through the companies cadet p. Or one must have really great papers, but despite of the great papers, I am too lazy still in my case I said to a gvt. One must have a clear background that obvious, and if anyone had committed a crime in Japan will also be passed to other countries in Asia in case of a foreigner. There is a little bit of radiation at current but one really must realize a reality which means that all suffer at daily basis, like many despatched parcels with the sweets are being thrown out immediately at the post offices before being delivered to a correct address by a postman of that particular country due to radiation. I will ask my friends, but in September, because I am going for a trip with my best friend to a place we had never seen before to see huskies, since her and me we are a little bit tired we are taking a car with us. So, I will ask and will give you the correct and accurate information, if you really love your girlfriend, as much as possible upon return since for now we are only thinking about huskies.

bringbackthe80s
29th Jul 2011, 21:01
.........................:bored:

safelife
29th Jul 2011, 22:13
...must be on drugs.

afhelipilot
30th Jul 2011, 00:55
Why maybe you are on drugs, sounds like you have little knowledge about Asia and about a system of hiring.

VintageRed
30th Jul 2011, 12:51
I had originally written a large email explaining EXACTLY how things are here in Japan at the moment for a contract pilot - but then i deleted it.

I couldnt find anything good to say, and i was taught if you cant say something good then dont say it at all.

japanam
31st Jul 2011, 04:08
Yeah, I'm Japanese but afheli's post doesn't make any sense to me either. What exactly was the statement you were trying to make about Japanese aviation??:rolleyes:

bringbackthe80s
31st Jul 2011, 11:06
vintagered I looked at some of your early posts and you seemed to enjoy the place, so pkease do explain exactly how things are at the moment.
Via pm is fine if you prefer. Your experience can be useful for many here, thanks a lot.

777Efoh
31st Jul 2011, 13:43
This afhelipilot writes like a certain poster by the name MeLu in another pilots forum. :}

slice
31st Jul 2011, 14:03
Man I want some of what afhelipilot is smoking because that must be some chronic weed!:E

The Dominican
31st Jul 2011, 14:49
There will be plenty of opportunities in Japan in the near future with the development of the new low cost carriers that will start to operate starting next year.

Japan's economy: The impact of the natural disaster didn't turn out to be the economical disaster that some pundits were predicting and the infusion of international funds on disaster relief was able to maintain the economy going, most of the major contributors to the Japanese economy (Sony, Toyota, Nissan, Honda) are producing and selling close to pre earthquake levels, so business outlook is pretty good.

JAL: The number of pilots that were displaced are not the amount that was originally proposed (280, something for what I understand, If somebody has reliable final numbers could you please post them) my point is that it wasn't the original 400+ (with some saying up to 800) numbers they were talking about at the beginning, most of those guys have either found other employment (lower paid and bad QOL regrettably) or have left the career all together so the number of pilots still looking for jobs is quite low and will not cover the demand that will come from the introduction of these new ventures.

In my opinion there will be many job opportunities in Japan in the near future but there is a catch. The reason why they are venturing into the LCC market is not because they want to create job opportunities, it is to cut cost; So the days of Japan having the best pay and quality of life contract available (back when ANA and NCA were the top of the list) are coming to an end, NCA's conditions and pay have decline and ANA's (AJX) has also decline in pay and quality of life and it looks like AJX eventually will be a cargo operation only with very tough rosters and multiple sectors flying on the back of the clock.

bringbackthe80s
31st Jul 2011, 15:31
Completely agree with the Dominican, especially on the first part of your post.

You don't need too much imagination to see what will happen to general terms and conditions, you just have to come check the situation in Europe to have an idea (and maybe twist it a bit as per Japanese standards).

For sure embracing the LCC revolution (provided it works in Japan) will change the era of the good contracts and conditions of ANA,NCA and the likes. But hey the world is changing/has changed...we'd better accept it.
Having said that, if you are reasonably openminded and if the unions work hard, a good LCC can offer a pretty good solution (in the current world economic climate). Stable rosters/good pay/new aircraft/quick expansion/many bases and a bunch of other good things...it's not all bad.

The truth is Japan is going through a massive change (to be fair an inevitable alignment to the rest of the world aviation business) so none can predict what will happen..

afhelipilot
1st Aug 2011, 01:08
I was informed,that it is too complicated to hire the applicants from abroad at the direct basis in Far East, considering all the circumstances like a future spouse and etc...Usually , the companies are sponsoring a visa anyway. I understand very well why...One must undestand both sides her e or at least try to. I had asked the airlines I was s with, to accept and to hire the pilots from Japan in the future since the airlines  I was s with are really outgoing according to the authoritie s.On the other hand, I had a feeling they like our c and a field I took p va.However,it is really easy to get a job within the airline s if one is not lazy...It is easy,but sometimes hearing the “ unneeded ”comments about the crew fr om Asia as the ones who make more then the locals in various  part of the world,is a little bit hard sometimes too hard t o understand it....

gtseraf
1st Aug 2011, 02:23
Dominican makes a good point.

The Air Japan deal has slipped badly lately, the decline in the value of the USD has impacted those who live outside of the USA.

The pay now, from my info, is not much better than the average LCC in Europe. Compared to Australian LCC's it is about 75% of that.

Given the fact we now have to fly a very fatiguing back of the clock schedule, away from our homes for about 3 weeks a month. I'd say that the Japanese deal is now poor.

I understand the Japanese have no control over the USD value but they have to accept that it exists and do something REALISTIC about it.

VintageRed
3rd Aug 2011, 00:07
I wasnt going to write this but i decided to anyway..........

Well, the Japanese companies are going through a massive realignment managerially speaking.

For some time now, ANA, being a totally private company (not funded by the gov in contrast with JAL) has implemented many cost saving strategies in order to continue to be a profitable business.

For example, 2 (or possibly 3) years ago, ANA was a full service airline. You would get, your coffee and tea etc all offered to you at no cost.

Now, you're paying for it.

As a crewmember we used to be able to get a bottle of water, for our flights from down the back, but now, the company doesn't permit the CA's even giving us that:= We have complained for months about this to both the local and contract managers - no change, too bad, it is how it is, bring your own.

With the company restructuring there have been mergers of the subsidiary airlines with each other. This has caused massive confusion. Managers who used to know how to deal with foreign crews have been transferred to other departments and new managers with no clue of flight ops have been assigned roles outside their intelligence levels:confused:

These mergers have also placed serious stresses on the current flock of pilots as the companies all try to do more, schedule wise, with fewer guys.

Those at ANA Wings are flying on average about 70-80 hours, with about 190-195 duty hours, with roughly 10-14 layovers per month. Since the props are short-haul, you can expect 4-5 sectors per day, hence the high ratio of duty time to flight time.

The per diem, so graciously given to a prop guy, is 30USD according to the contract. This has been the same figure for 5 years. Five years ago the USD bought 122 yen, now it buys 77 yen. Thats a grand total of 2300¥ for your layover. The cabin attendant and the local guys get a per diem of 5500¥. So while the locals head over to the nice restaurant you're heading down to the 7-11 or Lawson, for a sandwich and a salad.

Not only that, you're now having to purchase two meals with your 2300¥, as they will schedule you so you miss the meal windows the next day, so its off back to Lawson or the 7-11 for your breakfast or lunch sandwich and salad again.

The contract companies continue to say that there is no movement from one job to another because of JCAB regulations and people not having jet time etc. Well thats incorrect. Some of the copilots five years ago have progressed and been given their command upgrades, in fact, they're now my training captains, and recently the company has decided to move them to the 737 operation. So, here's a guy who's only ever flown a Baron58, a Q400 as a copilot for 3000hrs, now has 1000 hrs as a PIC and has been promoted to a training captain, and is now being trained for direct entry command on a 737.

There is no hint of the so called JCAB rules that prohibits this. The company is required to provide a syllabus of training - which they choose not to do for the contract pilots i guess. Perhaps its money, culture, or the Japanese pilot's union, or a combination of all 3, why they choose not to.

The money they owe you comes on time, you get the days off you're entitled to in your contract, but thats it. You get nothing else. Literally, nothing else. No cabs to the sim building, you buy your own or catch a train (if the bus isnt running). No laundry allowances for uniforms etc, you gotta pay for that, no water on the flight deck, you buy that too, just to name a few.

There are no negotiations about a cap/protection for USD/YEN rates, there is no negotiations about amendments to perdiem rates, there is no negotiation about promotion, and if there is there is no action coming from them.

For the first time in a long time, the contract companies are having a negative year across the board in Japan. More guys are leaving than are coming and the Q400 particularly has had no applicants for months (they've sent offers to people who had applied over 12 months ago instead). Yet they do nothing to improve the T&C's to attract more pilots.

Perhaps the LCC's who are coming will be the breath of fresh air the stale Japanese aviation market needs, a new company with a new management with a new determination to succeed. You cant succeed if you've got a company full of grumpy old farts willing to do nothing :}

RED

bringbackthe80s
3rd Aug 2011, 06:43
Very clear VintageRed, thank you.

sparrowhawk7979
16th Aug 2011, 13:44
Thank you for the info. Can you tell me if they are hiring pilots with no Q 400 TR. What about the standard of living in Japan and how much tax they will deduct from gross salary. What is the net income of Captains on Q 400. How is the situation with radiation after the Fukoshima desaster?

Sp

afhelipilot
22nd Aug 2011, 09:02
Your questions ( in details ) should be answered if you shall go to the j em I guess my aunt is still there, shall check and get the accurate current information they will be happy to assist you if still there. There had been thousands of the resources written about Fukushima and further spreading radiation if there is any spreading...I guess that coming to Japan at current is a matter of a personal choice , if one is aware of radiation and knows that has a panic attitude or a vision should consider the other option. I have other question, which I can not aswer since many years, if I am too lazy to fly as a female should I stop panicking after I had been s, and move further or should I just stay with h as I like? I do not know...I like h only. :ugh:

The Yank
22nd Aug 2011, 09:08
Melu go away.... Please.

afhelipilot
24th Aug 2011, 04:17
what are your intentions in writting your comments? you sounds as someone who wishes or is demanding and again demanding a right in flying over pacific if someone is from europe then should use more official ways, considering the situation- if is interested in the area, which is considered as still dangerous according to many resources why dont you read the newspapers or these headlines around the world and what is worst that all started to believe that is so dangerous can you stop a panic by the way??

VintageRed
24th Aug 2011, 04:58
Hello Sparrowhawk

Yes they still want crews and Q400 time is not a prerequisite, however their conditions of PiC on a multicrew turboprop is not waivable.

Cheek out the crew leasing company's websites for min requirements.

From what I've been told there have been no applicants for some time as the terms and conditions have deteriorated so much it's nonworth while joining.

Good luck to you.

Mat Finish
24th Aug 2011, 12:59
Vintage Red

As a crewmember we used to be able to get a bottle of water, for our flights from down the back, but now, the company doesn't permit the CA's even giving us that:= We have complained for months about this to both the local and contract managers - no change, too bad, it is how it is, bring your own.Can someone please explain to why it is that every f......g time the low cost gang move in with their overpriced and underachieved MBA's they take the $1.00 bottle of water away from the poor bastard up front keeping their Multi Million dollar jet in the air?

Can just picture it.. one idiot clueless manager to the next

'Hey what can we take away from the equation and save $99 a day?'
Long silent pause... long but shallow brainwaves...
'I know! Let take away the bottled water we give the crew!'

Mat Finish
never a shiny moment..

bringbackthe80s
24th Aug 2011, 14:37
Looks like skymark is advertising for 737 capt Narita based. I understand these guys just ordered 6 A380s..I don't know much about skymark but they must be doing ok.

randyjapan
29th Aug 2011, 02:18
Can anyone shed some light on how the interview is over at ANA Wings? Also, I heard that you may just need to have any kind of Type rating, i.e. LR45, CE650.... Is that correct?

sparrowhawk7979
12th Oct 2011, 14:06
Thanks for any comments and infos about the present situation about pilot jobs at ANA Wings. :ok:

The Dominican
13th Oct 2011, 01:14
My recommendation to folks interested in jobs in Japan and in Asia in general is to apply even if you don't meet the published minimums, several stories of guys being called to interview that were short in certain requirements but had plenty to offer in other areas and got interviews. Look into Peach, Jetstar Japan, Skymark, Starflyer, Air Japan, OK airlines.

Jaz and the Fat Man
13th Oct 2011, 12:43
You are exactly right. Put your app in if you're close as you never know. When they are short and get the word to hire some bodies, your CV might just arrive on that day. 20 years ago I did that exact thing, sent my app to JAL, even though they were only hiring current B-747 Captains. To my surprise, with nothing larger than an A320 under my belt, I found myself as a 34 year old kid sitting in class as a DEC on the whale . Too cool.

sparrowhawk7979
13th Oct 2011, 17:45
Hello VintageRed, Thank you for the informations. I got all application papers. Conditions are really bad but fortunately I am not desperate.

pilotcpb
13th Oct 2011, 19:51
I nearly forgot about starting this thread as I have been traveling and then studying for an interview but thanks so much to the guys who have shared their info on here. For me personally I am (hopefully) headed to the middle east soon as that is where the best opportunities for me are at the moment. the only word i got out of asia thus far was an offer from CX as a cadet but the terms are unacceptable and i would never consider such an offer. the gulf carriers have their problems but at least i wont be making somebodys bunk for 5 years. that situation was puzzling because my application is for DEFO and not SO.

vintagered thanks for the gouge on ana wings. i ultimately decided to avoid the deal because i ran into a chap on the contract in itami who gave me the same description of the job around 2 months ago (was it you? hehe)

dominican i read your posts alot and thanks for all the info. even with the issues at air japan i applied but got the rejection notice because i have pic turboprop TR but only sic jet. i met a fellow in haneda who enjoys the contract and reccomends it but hes coming from the US like myself so maybe we are just used to the abuse. if anything else opens up soon i will apply anyways and see what happens. again, i am heading to the middle east, but maybe in a few years the experience ill get there can help me.

mat finish i cant agree more about the water bottle nazis. it is total disrespect being denied crew meals (and the 99 cent water bottle) while at the helm of a jet flying max hours day after day. i was at recurrent in my company and in the training center the free coffee and tea is for the instructors only. i was unaware that thumbing through powerpoint slides all day in a comfy chair was so much more tiring than my job. wtf!!!!

The Dominican
14th Oct 2011, 02:39
i met a fellow in haneda who enjoys the contract and reccomends it but hes coming from the US like myself so maybe we are just used to the abuse. if anything else opens up soon i will apply anyways and see what happens. again, i am heading to the middle east, but maybe in a few years the experience ill get there can help me.

They do need to fix some of these scheduling issues that have come up since the merger but lets just say that we are not masochists:ok:. Good luck in the sand pit, the next few years look very good in the international market for those that have the magic numbers, after a couple of years there you will be able to write your own ticket. All the best

Geebz
17th Oct 2011, 09:47
Charging crews for water? Hilarious stuff. I recall an airline I flew for last year pulling the same stunt with us, but it was for coffee. Ummm, ok. Pls hold boarding while I go into the terminal to fetch myself some go-juice. Suddenly, within a week we had our coffee and tea back. No matter, the sting was permanent enough to pull the chord and bail that operation the first chance I got. So they spent, what, $150,000 training and recruiting me only to create a hostile enough work environment where I bolt at the worst possible time (during new aircraft induction). Not to mention all the wasted money that results when trying to pummel your skilled-equipment operators. Freaking rocket scientists they hire into mgmt positions these days. It takes an operations-guy to run an airline, not an MBA type who's never worked the line one day in his career.

NEVER mess with your mechanic, pilot, server or surgeon.

The airlines that work WITH the pilots and ASK before they take something away usually do well over the long run. The rest, who copycat each-others "cost-saving" antics, never make it, not with the same management team anyway.