PDA

View Full Version : Can a French ATCO work in the UK?

Vai
25th Jul 2011, 18:50
Hello everyone, my first post here.

My wife is an area controller in France and we were wondering what the latest situation was with European ATCOs wanting to work in the UK?

Danscowpie
25th Jul 2011, 19:15
Assuming it's your wife who wants the job, as an area ATCO, she could only work for National Air Traffic Services (NATS) in the UK.
She would have to undergo an APC (Assessment fo Prior Competence) to assess her current skill an competence levels, after which the UK CAA would decide what futher training she would have to retake.
Unfortunately NATS Management have a reputation for being particularly obstructive when it comes to accepting staff who have not been trained by them.
I know of a number of individuals who have completed extensive training at CAA approved training establishments in the UK to get various ratings, yet when they apply to NATS they are told they have to do all their training again to get the same ratings.

There's no legal reason why your wife shouldn't work in the UK, but the process is completely unreasonable and it seems unlikely that she'd tolerate it.
If you both want a change of scene I'd apply to Eurocontrol, much better terms and conditions and probably a better employer.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
26th Jul 2011, 06:51
<<I know of a number of individuals who have completed extensive training at CAA approved training establishments in the UK to get various ratings, yet when they apply to NATS they are told they have to do all their training again to get the same ratings.>>

Often the fault of the ATCO, not NATS HR. I joined in 1971 and was told I would need a medical. I told them I had just renewed my medical so I got a standard form saying I had passed. I was then told I would be joining an adult entry "primary" course. I told them I had a validated UK ATC Licence and therefore did not require training and I soon was told verbally that I would be going to Heathrow. When I arrived at Heathrow not having completed the "Ministry" primary course, people were aghast!!

I was sent on an APC RAD course as I did not have a radar rating and the course coincided with the adult entry course I was scheduled to be on so I met the people on it. I was amazed to find that at least 2 had current UK ATC Licences... but they had just done as they were told and felt it was too late by then to take the matter up!

In NATS and many other large organisations, recruiting correspondence is the work of admin people so if you have any queries you need to get to a higher level.

Vai
26th Jul 2011, 08:56
Thanks for the info Danscowpie. Yes it's for my wife, we both live in France (I'm English, she's French) but for my career it would be much better to be in the UK so we have been pondering the possibility.

Pretty much what I imagined really re NATS. I think she would tolerate a conversion course but a full blown retrain is out. But maybe we should give it a try anyway and see what they say. Be interesting to know what the working hours/salary are/is like for UK area controllers compared to France...

25check
26th Jul 2011, 09:33
Does she know that she would have to speak English to ALL the aircraft?!;)

Minesthechevy
26th Jul 2011, 09:43
@25check - when did that change? At LL we had an english controller who was fluent in french, often gave all clearances to AF aircraft in french.... Long time ago, granted......

@vai, where are you in France?

Nimmer
26th Jul 2011, 18:36
I have been trying to organise a Danish controller a direct entry job with NATS. Despite all my best efforts he is having to do the full Aerodrome and approach course at the college.

£10 grand a year, then onto training pay, £18 grand then bottom of the scale etc. You get the picture???

NATS are so far behind when it comes to experienced controller recruitment, its pathetic, and were are supposed to be a business!!!!!

Spitoon
26th Jul 2011, 18:52
Although it's unlikely to change NATS' recruitment or training policies, the validity of a licence may be clearer very soon with the publication - due in the next six weeks or so - of the EASA implementing rule on controller licensing.