PDA

View Full Version : Visual approach LHR

Fatfish
25th Jul 2011, 09:55
May I ask, If we are established on RWY27R into LHR and given a visual Side Step to RWY27L. In the event of a Go Around , is it required to recieve intructions from Tower for the Go Around as the Go Around published procedure for 27L is nullified due to the visual Side Step approach? Many thanks in advance.

johnnyDB
25th Jul 2011, 10:33
Good luck on getting that sidestep!

Gonzo
25th Jul 2011, 12:15
You would receive modified instructions.

ATC would expect you to follow the missed approach procedure that you briefed for (i.e. from what is now the the 'wrong' runway).

Geffen
25th Jul 2011, 13:41
As much as I agree with Gonzo I would hope good airmanship would not see a crew executing a missed approach across the airfield into traffic. That being said you would most certainly receive a heading and level for the missed approach.

Gonzo
25th Jul 2011, 13:57
Yes, I should have clarified. ATC would not want you to fly the 'wrong' approach, but that's what we are trained to expect (i.e. not to assume that you'd fly the new runway's procedure), hence why we would intervene with instructions.

Not sure if that's made it clearer!

Fatfish
26th Jul 2011, 09:48
Agreed JohnnyDB, and my question may be a hypothetical one. What is the proper ATC proceedure in an side step Go Around. Hope I get an answer. Thanks again.

jayc004
26th Jul 2011, 10:30
I have been given a side step approach and many other airports but not LHR. I would presume that it is going to be very similar as they have put you on the other runway for a reason.

On all occasions when given this option and accepted it, I asked;
"Can you confirm the missed approach procedure incase of a Go-around".
In all cases, ATC told me what they expected;
"Incase of a go-around, fly straight ahead climbing 3000ft for vectors"

What is the point in being told what the go-around procedure is going to be after you have pressed the TO/GA?
If you ask me, that is a high enough work load environment for not only you as a pilot, but also ATC.
Better to get it cleared and understood before hand.:ok:

Hope that helps :)

Nubboy
26th Jul 2011, 14:45
LHR is my home base and therefore every other landing I make is normally there.

As local crew we know the published procedures pretty well off by heart (except 09R which I've only had once in the last dozen years).

I would therefore expect to do the procedure for the actual landing runway, and not cut across potential go around traffic for the other runway. Or have vectors.
(We normally have the other runway programmed in the secondary flight plan in the FMS. A really switched on crew might get the PNF to activate the secondary flight plan when the cross over was given. They'd then have the new go around procedure in the box, having dumped the orignal one.)

Food for thought.

hold at SATAN
27th Jul 2011, 08:43
A "visual switch" (side step, as referred above) is only currently available on 27L/R in certain pre-prescribed situations, e.g. tight spacing, loss of wake turbulence separaration, etc. But before you try to play the system (i can't imagine that you ever would), the visual switch is only an option if the departure runway is actually available to land on (e.g. there may be departing aircraft lined-up or lining-up and there's insufficient time for them to be airborne before your landing; cranes affecting the protected areas, etc). If not available (departure controller has final say), you need to decide whether to carry on and land on the original runway, or go around.

On easterlies, we have much more flexibilty and often offer or get asked by approach control to tactically land (usually terminal 4 or A380s) on the departure runway. In ths case the departure control usually has final say depending upon their workload/outbound delays. (on a related note, PLEASE DON'T LINE-UP AT N11 (or anywhere else, for that matter) WITHOUT A LINE UP INSTRUCTION FROM ATC, EVEN IF YOU ARE AT THE HEAD OF THE QUEUE)

All this could change with the "approval" of mixed mode, so watch this space.

Fatfish
28th Jul 2011, 14:54
Thanks for the interesting post from all. Can anyone tell me the 'Legal' proceedure of a side step Go Around in LHR? Thanks

Flightman
29th Jul 2011, 19:15
Please it's not mixed mode. :=

Mixed mode would be planned operations of both runways and LHR can't plan for it under the upcoming trial. The industry quoting mixed mode will get the locals wound up and no-one wants to stir them up unnecessarily.

blissbak
30th Jul 2011, 02:37
Where I work if visual you need detailed instructions, but you'll never fly visual thought :hmm:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
30th Jul 2011, 07:10
blissbak... Can you explain that further, please, as I don't understand what you mean. Thanks.

blissbak
30th Jul 2011, 13:17
LLDIR, I meant that performing a visual approach there is no ambiguity and no standard go around procedure to follow , you need detailed instructions, unless the authority provided you one by charts&docs, but if so, just follow it without questions.
Take the last part of my previous message as you read it .

Russell Kaymer
30th Jul 2011, 20:50
If they Visually change you to the other runway then via the ILS, fly the published missed app for the ILS. If you are cleared for a visual approach after a switch, the miissed app will be as instructed unless there is a published Visual Missed Approach (extremely unlikely). Pretty simple and what happens the world over...... but I expect LL have their own version like many other things.......:rolleyes:

Fatfish
31st Jul 2011, 07:13
Hi Flightman, whats 'mixed' mode? Tks

Crazy Voyager
31st Jul 2011, 08:19
Mixed mode is when the runways are used for both take-off and landings at the same time.

Opposite to segregated mode where one runway is used for departures and one for landings.

That's the basics of it anyway, I belive it's all in doc4444 if you're intrested.