PDA

View Full Version : Fire-Setters on Aircraft?

SmallPlanePilot
7th Nov 2000, 02:05
I am doing a bit of research on people who set fires. This probably sounds like a mad question, but I wondered if anyone out there had come across cases of people deliberately trying to start fires on aircraft (either on the ground or in the air), or who they suspected might have been trying to cause some kind of 'incident'. This is a serious question, (though I dont want to alarm anyone), as it is related to some work I am doing at the moment. (Be happy to discuss in 1:1 email if anyone is interested, or dont want to post publically).

Would appreciate any thoughts you have.

Thanks. SPP.

KBaB
7th Nov 2000, 02:30
would air pressure affect a fire in a aircraft?

Dr. Red
7th Nov 2000, 07:47
I think most people have a little voice in their head that says,

"Setting fires in an enclosed space with no hope of escape is Counter-Productive"

It would be interesting to hear your results.

A Very Civil Pilot
7th Nov 2000, 22:42
Supposedly true story of a Haj flight to Mecca from Pakistan, where some of the pax got their kerosene stoves out for a quick brew. More ignorance than malice, so I don't know if it's what you're looking for.

SmallPlanePilot
7th Nov 2000, 23:23
Dr Red. Thanks for responding. In answer to what seems like a terribly obvious point, in fact there are a fair number of people who set fires precisely because it is, ummm, 'counter productive', as you delicately put it. A high proportion of fire setters either die, or are seriously injured in the fires they have themselves set. It isnt always (as you might have guessed) the most rational activity in the first place.

True though, it seems intuitively unlikely, but I have come across some very unlikely scenarios not directly related to aviation, and really just wondered.