PDA

View Full Version : Am I employable?

late starter
6th Nov 2000, 16:51
I am about to complete my JAA ATPL (Frozen)at Oxford Aviation. I am 39 years old and on completion of above course, I will have 250 flying hours. What job prospects do you believe I could look forward to on completion of course, if any?

PPRuNe Towers
6th Nov 2000, 22:01
You may not exactly see this as a recommendation but Captain PPRuNe, Crashdive and myself all started flying in our late thirties. Each of us now flies a Boeing.

------------------
Regards from the Towers

[email protected]

Sensible
7th Nov 2000, 02:14
If it's a boeing I aint going! :)

SmallPlanePilot
7th Nov 2000, 02:38
I wish someone had said that to me six years ago, when I got my private licence (at 38) and the flying school owner told me not to be stupid, I was much too old to make a career in flying.... I even had the money then to pay for training!

Why did I listen. why why... damn.. rant...rant...kick cat(not really)...etc.

The Skylord
7th Nov 2000, 11:05
Obtained CPL at 39
Within 10 years Captain on widebody going Europe to/from JFK

Just do it!

I have a quote on my desk.....

"The only things in life you regret are the risks you don't take"

[This message has been edited by The Skylord (edited 07 November 2000).]

late starter
7th Nov 2000, 13:55
Thank you for the replies so far. I really appreciate the encouragement and hope to fly with you one day.

Captain Mainwaring
7th Nov 2000, 21:32
I finished my CPL/IR in 1997 at age of 39, did 18 months instructing and then got a job flying Heavy turboprops for the last 18 months.
My company seems to favour applicants age 30+ with about 1000 hours.
I would like to fly jets and now have the same doubts as to whether i will - but it seems from posts i have received that anything is possible. I personally know an F/O who had an interview for a jet F/O position and he is 56 !! - you can fly as F/O until 65 they told him
Best Wishes