PDA

View Full Version : A' Level Comm Studies...

Lunar Landing
19th Nov 2001, 19:26
I hope that some pilots in the airline business only preferred, could give me answers to the following questions for my A' Level coursework, as set out by my teacher...

What personal communication skills do pilots use?

Verbal/non verbal skills...examples?

What is the purpose of the types of skills...to re-assure passengers before a flight fore example?

How do they use comm studies to achieve this purpose..whatever the purpose may be?

How can this be tested?

Ok, im not expecting essays, just one or two pointers would be greatly appreciated...

Regards

Smooth Skies...
NB:i do not wish to be commented on by some member on spelling...this is just a thread, not my final A' level exam. Thank you :)

DJXL
23rd Nov 2001, 17:46
Communication mate, is the key. If you sit in a flight deck for a few hours you will notice that everything is done is confirmed by both pilots. You sit in a hospital operating theatre and youŽll see what a lack of communication results in. I know of 2 examples where the wrong leg has been cut off because no one questioned the surgeonŽs actions.

This sort of "the guy with more experience and a bigger pay packet must be right" idea used to result in numerous air accidents. Find a video or website with details about the Trident that crashed at Staines many moons ago and youŽll see what I mean.

Chatting to the passengers over the PA is just polite really. People like to know what is going on. There are specific guidelines about what to say over a PA, but generally just what you feel like. Sometimes the captain will go up to nervous passengers before a flight and reassure them that everything is ok. Not a captain myself so youŽll have to ask someone else what they say.

I hope this is what youŽre after, if not IŽve just blabbed on about crap all.

Sorry about the essay...

Lunar Landing
29th Nov 2001, 14:01
No, not blabble, helpful blabble. lol. Anything for more info. Is there a website which i cant seem to find that has some info? Ive had a ponder about it and surfed the web, but no success. Any MORE info would be gratefully appreciated.

Smooth skies,
Dan :)