PDA

View Full Version : frozen atpl

flyhigh07
22nd Jul 2011, 11:43
I have a FAA CPL,I AM PLANNING TO DO A CANADA CPL CONVERSION,WHAT SHOULD I DO TO GET AN ICAO FROZEN ATPL?WHAT ALL EXAMS SHOULD I GIVE?PLEASE HELP GUYS DO TC HAVE A MINIMUM HOURS REQUIREMENT FOR FROZEN ATPL?

clunckdriver
22nd Jul 2011, 12:53
07, If you read the Canadian Civil Air Regs you will find no such Lic as a "Frozen ATPL", no matter that some use the term to describe a pilot who has written certain exams but lacks the flight time for an ATPL, I would sugest you read the threads in the Canada forum below and save yourself some grief from folks like me who bin any CV with such "non qualifications" contained in it, good luck to you in your future!

flyhigh07
22nd Jul 2011, 13:09
@clunkdriver.

gotcha thanks for the information,i will stick with the ATPL exams then,please let me know if there is any requirement to write tht exams(hours as i have only clos to 300hrs)..i assume it is two papers...

+TSRA
23rd Jul 2011, 03:54
@07

At 300 hours you are 450 hours short of meeting the minimum requirement to write the Canadian SAMRA and SARON exams. Also note that the exams expire 24 months to the day once you've written them so you must meet all ATPL flight hour requirements by then or the exams lapse - this is part of the reason there is no such thing as a "Frozen ATPL" in Canada.

You could potentially write the IATRA exam which is what you would need to fly, say a Dash-8, Saab 340 or similar, however at 300 hours you'll be looking at 2 years of ramp work before you saw right seat here in Canada (Assuming you have the legal right to work here in the first place), by which point the IATRA exam would have already expired.

I've posted a link to the Transport Canada standard outlining the ATPL requirements:

Part IV - Personnel Licensing and Training - Transport Canada (http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/regserv/cars/part4-standards-421-1086.htm#421_34)

altiplano
27th Jul 2011, 03:52
"looking at 2 years of ramp work"

Is that a requirement to fly a plane with a CPL? Explain your thoughts...

300 hour pilots get hired all the time, but all 300 hour pilots don't get hired - you can try the ramp but there are other jobs waiting for someone... it sounds like you just want an ICAO license anyway - going overseas I assume... anyway good luck.

+TSRA
27th Jul 2011, 23:10
@altiplano

No, you're right - its not a requirement to work 2 years on the ramp with a CPL. You could get a job right out of the gate doing many things without additional training costs - sky diving, aerial spray, banner towing, sightseeing, etc.

However, in this case a 300 hour pilot is asking about the ATPL.

It is very fair to assume that they are looking at getting on with an operator who hires low time pilots into the right seat of an aircraft certified for two-crew operations. In this case they need to have either the IATRA or ATPL exams completed 24 months prior to the issue of the PPC.