PDA

View Full Version : Re-filing a flight plan. When?

DoctorATM
20th Jul 2011, 14:11
Hello to all.

A few days ago, I heard a person who works in the aeronautical field say that if a plane flying IFR suddenly has to deviate from the route connecting two consecutive waypoints (which are part of its filed flight plan) because of an unexpected no-fly zone that suddenly cropped up, it does not have to re-file a flight plan to avoid the zone but it can avoid the no-fly zone and then fly toward the other waypoint.

In a controlled airspace I'm sure that this deviation would need an ATC clearence. But what happens in an uncrontrolled airspace? Shouldn't the pilot at least communicate its intentions to the advisory service? Isn't the flight plan always compulsory for IFR flights even if flying in uncontrolled airspaces?

In addition and more technically speaking wouldn't the pilot need to manually insert (in the FMS) an "off-track" waypoint between the two planned ones to avod the no-fly zone?

I would like to know what you think. Thank you.

jayc004
26th Jul 2011, 10:41
Uncontrolled airspace is just that, it is uncontrolled. You are not required to be under radar control. Filing an IFR flight plan would show that you are an IFR flight and where you expect to be at what time.

With regards to your comment about entering a waypoint into the FMC. I would hope that a pilot is capable enough to be able to navigate to a waypoint without needing 'the magenta line' to help him/her.

The interesting bit is that a no-fly zone has just appeared in front of them. If not talking to ATC, then how would the pilot know that it is there. If they are talking to ATC, and they are flying IFR in uncontrolled airspace, I am sure the minimum requirements are Radar Advisory?? This i am not to sure about, but the pilot has the option to modify/cancel/refile his flight plan at any point. ATC would be aware of his intentions and location.

I am not ATC, so I can only tell you as I remember, but I think all the above is pretty much correct.

The Fat Controller
26th Jul 2011, 11:03
Radar Advisory, now there is a blast from the past !

UKFIS changed some time ago.

CAP 774: UK Flight Information Services | Publications | CAA (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=3174)

blissbak
26th Jul 2011, 12:46
Changing the routing to avoid a large zone would probably lead to a FPL estimates change as well, thus alerting service being activated if you are uncontrolled and nobody knows where the hell you are going.
If you are avoiding a no fly zone there are few options :
You have been intercepted, so authorities know about your path change :) , or you are still controlled so no big deal :rolleyes:

Jim59
26th Jul 2011, 16:13
The interesting bit is that a no-fly zone has just appeared in front of them. If not talking to ATC, then how would the pilot know that it is there.

Could be weather - i.e a massive thunderstorms as often occur in France in the summer.

jayc004
27th Jul 2011, 09:40
Jim59 - Good point.

The Fat Controller - Haha. I still haven't got to grips with the 'Basic - Deconfliction' stuff yet.

And I had made a mistake, it would have been a minimum of Radar Information, (what ever that translates to now)!!
We used to do a lot of IFR stuff in uncontrolled airspace, and even when simulated, you would have to talk to a facility and get RIS.