PDA

View Full Version : F/O statutory authority to take control from the captain

Tee Emm
20th Jul 2011, 12:57
Can anyone point out which authoritive flight safety publications recommend that the first officer should consider taking over control of the aircraft where imminent danger exists and the captain has nor responded to the normal SOP support calls when landing? I can find nothing in any manufacturer's FCOM about this

Bealzebub
20th Jul 2011, 13:08
It is usually highlighted in a companies operations manual. Incapacitation or subtle incapacitation can happen at any time and the F/O should always be prepared (and vice versa) to take over control of the aircraft. Usually, a failure to respond to two calls should require intervention appropriate to the circumstances.

There must be no end of flight safety publications on the subject. I am not sure whether one is any more authoritative than another. The operations manual is likely to be the authoritative document on the subject for most airline crew.

cavortingcheetah
20th Jul 2011, 14:01
In the specific company and CAA approved Ops Manual, concealed under the heading of pilot incapacitation rather then ineptitude, drunkenness or something more or less amusing. Is there in any country a statute, regulation or law made by a statutory authority which permits or authorises the consideration of the relieving a of captain of his command. You could still be locked up for mutiny pending a Courts Martial or inquiry.

hvogt
20th Jul 2011, 14:57
The other day I read an excellent article* covering exactly your question, written by an Irish captain/barrister and an Australian lawyer. It might be difficult to get it from the internet though. I had to go to the library.

* Kane/Pyne, The Legal Status and Liability of the Copilot, Air & Space Law 1994, 290 ff. (Part I), 1995, 2 ff.(Part II).